GREENVILLE — In its first meeting of the year Tuesday night, the Greenville City Council welcomed its two newest members — Dori Howdieshell and Steve Willman.
Howdieshell and Willman were elected November 3 to replace outgoing council members John Baumgardner and Roy Harrison. Willman represents Greenville’s 4th Ward, while Howdieshell will represent the city’s 2nd Ward.
Councilman Tracy Tryon was chosen as council’s new president pro tem. As such, he will fill in as president on occasions when Council President John Burkett is absent. Burkett also appointed the city’s Utilities Office Manager Betsy Smith as council’s Clerk Pro Tem.
Burkett determined council members’ committee assignments for the term. Committee members include (first person listed was named committee chair, second person listed is vice chair):
• Finance: Tryon, Doug Schmidt, Willman
• Law: Schmidt, Willman, Howdieshell
• Safety: Willman, Leon Rogers, Clarence Godwin
• Utilities: Godwin, Tryon, Todd Oliver
• Personnel and Public Relations: Oliver, Howdieshell, Tryon
• Zoning, Planning and Governmental Relations: Rogers, Godwin, Schmidt
• Miscellaneous Affairs and Priority Needs: Howdieshell, Oliver, Rogers
Council also voted for members to represent the city on various boards and organizations in the community.
• Community Improvement Corporation (CIC): Oliver, Godwin
• Community Action Partnership (CAP): Oliver
• Council on Aging: Howdieshell
• Main Street Greenville: Willman
• Darke County Visitors Bureau: Tryon
• Architectural Review: Schmidt
• Volunteer Firefighters Dependent Fund: Howdieshell, Godwin
• Sister City Relationship: Tryon
No resolutions or ordinances were voted upon by council during the meeting.
Safety/Service Director Curt Garrison presented to council for its consideration two items for legislation: A contract agreement for engineering services between the city and Mote & Associates of Greenville; and base and alternate bids from Brumbaugh Construction of Arcanum for the city’s Ohio/East Main Street project.
The Greenville City Council meets at 7:30 p.m. the first and third Tuesday of every month at the Municipal Building. The public is invited to attend. Meetings are also recorded live and televised on Greenville Public Access TV Channel 5.
Erik Martin may be reached at 937-569-4314. Join the conversation and get updates on Facebook search Darke County Sports or Advocate 360. For more features online go to dailyadvocate.com.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU