11-year-old boy suffers burns at bonfire


Staff report



DARKE COUNTY — An 11-year-old child is in stable condition after being burned at a bonfire Saturday evening.

On June 3 at 9:07 p.m., Darke County Sheriff’s Deputies, along with Osgood Fire and Rescue and CareFlight, were dispatched to 8019 Bulcher Road near Versailles, Ohio, in reference to a child that had burn injuries.

Investigation revealed that Mike Nerderman was having a graduation party at his residence. There were numerous friends and family at the party.

Nerderman’s 14-year-old son and the teen’s 16-year-old cousin were attempting to start a bonfire at the rear of the residence. The 14-year-old, in attempting to start the fire, poured gasoline on the fire to help ignite it. The fire ignited and quickly spread to the container that he was holding. The teen threw the container back away from the fire and it landed on a 11-year-old male subject. The gasoline quickly ignited on the child and caused burns to the child’s chest, arms and upper thighs. The two teens both attempted to put the fire out on the boy, who was bear hugged to eventually smother out the fire.

The 11-year-old was treated by Osgood Rescue and Fire. CareFlight then transported him to Dayton Children’s Hospital where he is listed in stable condition.

This incident remains under investigation by the Sheriff’s Office. This is the second incident within the last few weeks in which a child has received burn injuries as a result of subjects using gasoline to start a bonfire. The Sheriff’s Office advises all residents exercise extreme caution around fire.

Staff report

comments powered by Disqus