ANSONIA — First responders from multiple departments were called to the scene of a residential fire in Ansonia late Monday morning.
Rescue and fire units from Ansonia, Burkettsville, Greenville, Greenville Township, Rossburg, Union City, and Versailles responded to the fire call at a duplex home at the 300 block of Smith Street in Ansonia. A Darke County Sheriff’s vehicle was also present.
There were no reported injuries to the occupant or occupants of the home. The living room and kitchen of the apartment were reported gutted by the fire.
Ansonia Fire Department Chief Bill Clark said the ceiling of the apartment collapsed with two firefighters present inside the structure as they battled the blaze. One firefighter was transported to Wayne HealthCare as a precaution but was later released. Other firefighters at the scene were treated by EMT’s for heat-related issues.
Chief Clark said the fire was caused by a window air-conditioning unit in the kitchen. An estimate on the cost of the damage to the structure is yet to be determined.
The writer may be reached at 937-569-4314. Join the conversation and get updates on Facebook search Darke County Sports or Advocate 360. For more features online go to dailyadvocate.com
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU