UNION CITY, Ohio — Lori Cox was elected president and Dale Breymier was elected vice president when the Mississinawa Valley Local Board of Education recently met for its organization meeting and regular meeting.
Newly-elected board members Breymier, Cox and Amy Hanes took the oath of office.
The board approved the 2016 meeting dates. The superintendent was appointed the purchasing agent for MVLSD. The board members’ salary and performance bonding for various positions were approved, and several annual items of business related to meeting the Ohio Revised Code requirements and/or administrative procedures were also approved by the board.
Board members were appointed to 10 various MVLSD Standing Committees for the 2016 calendar year, as follows: Building and grounds/facilities, Matt Hiestand and Breymier; finance and negotiations, Breymier and Hanes; personnel, Cox and Breymier; MVCTC/MDECA liaison: Sandy Skidmore and Hiestand; legislative committee, Hanes and Skidmore; scholarship committee Hanes and Skidmore; technology committee, Hanes and Skidmore; curriculum committee, Hiestand and Cox; audit committee, Cox and Breymier; and student achievement liaison, Hiestand.
In the regular meeting, the treasurer presented the financial reports for the month of December 2015.
In other matters, the board:
• Approved the estimated 2016-17 Alternate Tax Document to be submitted the same to the Darke County auditor.
• Agreed to continue membership in the Ohio School Boards Association (OSBA) for the 2016 calendar year.
• Approved the resolution to participate in the OSBA Legal Assistance Fund for the 2016 calendar year.
• Okayed the following co-curricular positions for the 2016-17 school year: Patrick Baker, head varsity coach high school football; Debbie Gower, high school volleyball site manager; Lea Ann Harris, high school football cheer adviser ½ (and high school dance adviser ½); Justin Herth, high school cross country head varsity coach; Billie Hunt, high school girls volleyball head varsity coach ½; Karry Marker, junior high football cheer adviser ½ (and junior high dance adviser ½); Melanie Neargarder, high school volleyball head varsity coach ½; Sheila Scholl, junior high football cheer adviser ½ (and junior high dance adviser ½); Jamie Seiber, high school football cheer adviser ½ (and high school dance adviser ½); and Dusty Yingst, high school football site manager.
• Gave the go-ahead to Robotics Club members to go to Indianapolis, Indiana. on Feb. 20 for a robotics competition.
• Approved Kim Minnich’s maternity leave request.
• Approved a contract with Wagner Paving for the track surfacing.
The board also received the 2015 Tax Valuation from the Darke County Auditor’s office. The valuation for the past several years was reviewed.
It was reported there are 33 certified and classified employment contracts which will be expiring at the conclusion of the 2015-16 school year. They will be recommended for board action during the next few months.
In new business, Dusty Yingst had a presentation on football uniforms for next year, and the band director gave a presentation regarding new band uniforms.
Open gym on Sundays for baseball and softball was discussed and a decision was made not to allow Sunday open gym.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU