Along the Garden Path
By Linda Moody
Aristotle’s Turkey Trivia (thanksgivingaristotle.net) was shared to members of the Ladybug Garden Club from the Linder Family, as follows:
1. When was the first Thanksgiving celebration?
a. 1492 b. 1567 c. 1621 d. 1777
2. Where was the turkey first domesticated?
a. Canada b. Mexico or Central America c. New Zealand d. India
3. What is a female turkey called?
a. rooster b. cuckoo c. chick d. hen
4. What is a male turkey called
a. larry b. clark c. harry d. tom
5. What great American statesman lobbied to make the turkey the national symbol?
a. Benjamin Franklin b. Thomas Jefferson c. John Adams d. Andrew Jackson
6. What sound does a female turkey make?
a. gobble b. cluck c. chirp d. peep
7. What sound does a male turkey make?
a. Gobble b. click c. chirp d. peep
8. About how many feathers does a mature turkey have?
a. 1,500 b. 2,000 c. 3,500 d. 5,500
9. Which state produces the most turkeys annually?
a. Kansas b. Ohio c. Arkansas d. Minnesota
10. How fast can wild turkeys run?
a. 5 mph b. 15 mph c. 25 mph d. 45 mph
11. How does Arkansas rank among the other states in turkey production?
a. first b. third c. eighth 4. 14th
12. What native American tribe celebrated the first Thanksgiving with the colonists?
a. Wampanoag tribe b. Sioux tribe c. Choctaw tribe d. Arapaho tribe
13. Can wild turkeys fly? If so, how fast?
a. No b. Yes, up to 25 mph c. Yes, up to 40 mph d. Yes, up to 55 mph
14. Approximately what percentage of American homes eats turkey on Thanksgiving?
a. 49 percent b. 67 percent c. 82 percent d. 90 percent
15. Approximately what percentage of American homes eats turkey on Christmas?
a. 34 percent b. 50 percent c. 67 percent d. 89 percent
16. What is the name of the skin that hangs from a turkey’s neck?
a. snark b. wattle c. garble d. swag
17. Which U. S. President specified that Thanksgiving would fall on the last Thursday of November?
a. Martin Van Buren b. Andrew Jackson c. William H. Taft d. Abraham Lincoln
18. Which President attempted to move the Thanksgiving holiday to the fourth Thursday in November to create a longer C Christmas shopping season?
a. Franklin D. Roosevelt b. Dwight D. Eisenhower c. Harry S. Truman d. Gerald R. Ford
19. Which country consumes the most turkey per year per capita?
a. The United States b. Israel c. Spain 4. The United Kingdom
20. What is the best way to defrost a turkey?
a. With a hair dryer b. in the refrigerator c. in cold water d. in the microwave oven
Happy Thanksgiving to our family and friends!
Answers: 1 c; 2 b; 3 d; 4 d; 5 a; 6 b; 7 a; 8 c; 9 d; 10 c; 11 b; 12 a; 13 d; 14 d; 15 b; 16 b; 17 d; 18 a; 19 b; 20 b.
Charlene Thornhill is a volunteer citizen columnist, who serves Daily Advocate readers weekly with her community column Along the Garden Path. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Viewpoints expressed in these publications are the work of community volunteers. The Daily Advocate does not endorse these viewpoints or the independent activities of its volunteers, but is pleased to offer this feature to readers.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices