Anybody who knows me, knows I’m not that “up” on modern technology. But, that’s not saying it’s a good thing or a bad thing for everybody else.
Of course, over my 4 1/2 decades-plus here at the newspaper, I have had to learn how to use some of these new gadgets. And, now I’m in awe of what we ever did without the computer. We can write and save stories, scan photos, lay out pages and so on.
One feature I particularly enjoy is Facebook. I don’t care what anybody says about it, I find it a handy tool in the newspaper business. I know not everyone is going to agree and that’s okay. I’m entitled to my opinion.
Of course, there are some postings that aren’t always appropriate, but for the most part, a lot of it is informational. That’s where I find out who is sick or died or those who have had babies and I especially enjoy the wise and humorous postings that appear and that can be shared. And, I do just that. I really like that I can message someone without making a phone call.
I’ve heard people talking badly about Facebook, but I’m sure they are the ones who don’t even have a computer. And, I’m guessing if he/she did have a computer, they would be on Facebook constantly.
I’m not the only one who’s hooked on it. I have hundreds of “friends” who also use it.
Now, if only I could learn about other social media.
In the meantime, I am always going to like reading the newspaper while tradition lasts.
• Rossburg Fire Department will be serving a pork chop dinner at 11 a.m. Aug. 10 at the firehouse.
• The Ansonia American Legion has quite a number of activities coming up next month. The all-you-can-eat fish fries will begin Sept. 5 for the season, while the next all-you-can-eat breakfast will be Sept. 6 from 6 to 11 a.m.; and the steak fry on Sept. 13.
• This year’s Soul Walk will be held at 2 p.m. Sept. 14 at Harter Park in Union City, Indiana.
• Aug. 6 to Troy Gasper, Laura Hile Turner, Dann “Slug” Widener, sisters Lois Albright, Pauline Arnold and Liz Rehfeld, Tia Rhoades (25), Bobby Dynes, Renata Simmons (50) and Cindy Lovejoy.
• Aug. 7 to Shelba Kelly, Dennis Sebring, Erica Barga, Dave Fitzgerald (55), Allen Newbauer, Hunter Burns, Zoey Burns, Hayden Burns, Barb Hess and Ken Rinderle.
• Aug. 8 to Ty Gasper, Dick Billenstein, Matt Hiestand and Kathy Hiestand.
• Aug. 9 to Kathy Wagner, Jason Billenstein, Lisa Miller, Adia Brooks, Kim Ward, Steen Garland, Barb Westgerdes and Brent Coursey.
• Aug. 10 to Tom Lawson, Herman Lutz, Doug Leis, Krista Widener, Janet Lewis, Keith “Slick” Schlechty, Brenda Brinley, Tammy Subler Morrison and Tonya Blocher.
• Aug. 11 to Stanley Duncan, Darren Coby, Gary Middleton, John Farmer, Darlene Fullroth and Duck Curtis.
• Aug. 12 to Patty Hinkle, Paul Hartzell, Francis Rose, Jordon Wright (20),
Happy belated birthday to: Kate Young on Aug. 2.
Happy anniversary today to Randy and Coleen Ayette (40); Aug. 10 to Hugh and Melinda Linebaugh (30); Aug. 11 to Mindy and Randy Ward and Stuart and Debbie Powell; and Aug. 12 to Tom and Shila Magoto and Doug and Carol Riffle.
Don’t forget to pray for: Kody Ketring, Kathy Quintor, Allan Addington, Ben Bowman, Doug Wright, my parents (Bea and Lee Moody), John Dillon, Shane Williams, Connie Starline, Bob and Sandy Finkbine, Nellie Upchurch, Dave Rapier, Sue Grile, Charlie Keaser, Delbert Braund, Jim Perkins, Linda Benge Burnfield, Mary Devor, Rebecca Van De Grift, Mary Hartwick, Sandy Yagle Miller, Kent Snyder, Brenda Baker, Larry Bryson, Mike Brown (Dan’s brother), Joe Martin, Karli Doreen Wicker, Becky Stephens Keel, Susan Yagle, Steve Schafer, Cary VanDeGrift, Tracy Bailey, Josh Riffell, Tom Brumbaugh, Katie Day, Jeff and Ellie Keaser, Jack Riegle, Mike and Brenda Grimes, Bill Grimes, Johnny Young, Margaret “Peg Bundy,” Jim Erwin, Dick Shook, Emily Tuco, Kevin Hemmerich, Ray Dickey Jr., John Widener Jr., Chevone Singer, Tonya Anthony, Lynn Keller, Lyla Stone, Darren Coby, Teresa Hoff Gross, Joe Martin, “Bud” Self, Phyllis Turner, John Brandt, Jane Landis, Kenny Chancey, Paul Hodson, Ted Royster, Brenda Wallace, Penny Starns, Dave Sloan, Don DeBord.
Mike Monnin, Leslie Prestel, Carla Gilland, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Teresa (Mayo) Hammons, Sam and Melissa Strosnider, Donnie Wintrow, Suzy Heck Schilling, Addie Henderson, Lucas Bryant, Dave Morrow, Shirley (Riffell) Morrow, Mike Martin, Barbara Caupp, Barb Skinner, Mel Grile, Terry Amstutz, Patty Sells, Samantha Smith, Deb Davidson-Smith, Ron Nisonger, Daniel Redmond, Etta Walker, Glen Hufford, Pat Johnson, Howard Hemmerly, Shannon Peters Hall, Todd Walls, Earl Moore, Linda Malott, Jim and Patsy Schneider, Curtis Miller, Ron Kramer, Holli Anderson, Melissa “Missy” Helmer, Cindy Cunningham Fleenor, Bob Leugers, Jeff Schricker, Susie Gress of Nebraska, Angel Nicely, Bob Codling Sr., Jerry Paulus.
Amber Kiser, Wyoneda Stephens, Kathy Walter, Rob Hathaway, Mac Goodpaster, Alberta Aukerman, Chuck Davis, Dolores Nestor, Linda Lore, Rylee Blanken, Julie Widener, Deputy Dave Werling, Dana Holzapfel, Earl Curry, Kara Didier, Nick Voisard, Laura Harman, Dorothy Rismiller, Betty (Koons) Tinkham, Carla Welch, Keith Hiegel, Mike Collins, Chad Wert, Greg Eubank, Shane Wetzel, Brandy Reier, Lester Ward, Zane Wetzel, Gertie Hampshire, Don Hittle, Bill Schuette and all of our military people as well as this nation and to those who suffer from the many debilitating diseases.
Jamie and I send our condolences to the families of Eddie Alexander, Sally Clymer Klipstine, Judy Honeyman, Bud Hawkey, Wayne Swank, Donna Varner and Barbara Fisher.
Think about it: The richest man in the world is not the one who still has the first dollar he ever earned. It’s the man who still has his best friend. - Unknown
Linda Moody is the Features Editor for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Sunday. She can be reached at email@example.com or by calling 937-548-3151, ext. 1750, or direct at work at 937-569-4315. Viewpoints expressed in these opinion pieces are the work of the author. The Daily Advocate does not endorse these viewpoints or the independent activities of the author.