This has been a week unto itself. Some good news which we like to hear….some bad news, which we don’t.
And, then there is fair week, which is underway. Fair week is always bittersweet. You love the Great Darke County Fair but when it ends, look what’s coming….school opens and winter is around the corner.
Where did the summer go?
I guess I’m going to be out at the fairgrounds most of the week, and just hoping my knee holds out. If you smell Icy Hot or some kind of liniment when I come around, you know I’m having problems. I don’t really want to wear a knee brace all day long but if I have to I will. I’d better stock up on Tylenol just in case.
A friend has gotten me to start walking, so maybe it won’t be so bad during fair week; just don’t expect me to get someplace at a minute’s notice. I started out walking at three-fourths mile about three weeks ago I’m guessing and now I’m up to a mile most days. I’m finding it’s fun to walk if you have someone to talk to while doing so. I can even have fun walking it alone on Saturday mornings…when I do a lot of meditating, praying and talking to myself…just hope nobody’s watching.
When I can’t go walking near home Fair week, I’ll surely make up there on the grounds.
It would be nice if the weather cooperated fair week and that events go on as planned and that I can get my work done at the office and on the fairgrounds throughout the week.
My biggest wish is that this will be one of the best fairs ever, especially when it comes to reuniting with my friends and making new ones…for that is what I look forward to the most.
• The Ansonia American Legion has quite a number of activities coming up next month. The all-you-can-eat fish fries will begin Sept. 5 for the season, while the next all-you-can-eat breakfast will be Sept. 6 from 6 to 11 a.m.; and the steak fry on Sept. 13.
• This year’s Soul Walk will be held from 2 to 5 p.m. Sept. 14 at Harter Park in Union City, Indiana.
• Aug. 20 to Rick Riffell, Richard Yount, Helen Dull, Shirley Yohey, Jennifer Amspaugh Gray, Ted Finnarn and Gina Billenstein.
• Aug. 21 to Otis Stewart, Kay Jones, Jean Young, Rikki Holton (40) and Suzanne Smith.
• Aug. 22 to Maddicyn Brumbaugh (9) and Debbie Bey Liette.
• Aug. 23 to Rena Schlater, Kris Brown, Connie Faller Kunk, Steve Faller, Moleta Mikesell, Julie Wilkin, Pat Franklin and Sarah Carroll (21).
• Aug. 24 to Lisa Sink, Sheila Lenker, Derek Hall, Sharon Hollinger, Jeff Bubeck, Amanda Rodeheffer Olson, Stoney Dynes, Max Subler, Nicholas Buckingham (16), Josh Parton, Becky Harshman and Larry Melling (70).
• Aug. 25 to Mark Maloy (50), Jason Stover, Zach Anderson, Mandy Barga Mangen, Jennifer Lemon, Carol Mikesell, William E. Hole, Carol Bubeck, Shane Hall (34), Elaine Mueller, Kamram Stucky, Phyllis Hess and Trevor Alexander.
• Aug. 26 to Ronnie Broering, Ian Brown, Phyllis Mong, Brandon Snyder, Darrell Leeper, Rachel Class and Chad Robinson.
Happy anniversary to Dan and Marty Schipfer on Aug. 20; Missy and Gordy Schmitz on Aug. 24; Ted and Jana Liette (35) on Aug. 25; and Jack and Carol Bubeck, Scott and Kim Ward and Harry and Rosemarie Ellison.
Happy belated anniversary to Janet and Larry Francis (40 years) on Aug. 10; and to Vickie and Bill Martin (50) on Aug. 14.
Don’t forget to pray for: Gloria Coulter, Kody Ketring, Kathy Quintor, Allan Addington, Ben Bowman, Jamie “Jim” Foutz, Pastor Don Brode, Jason Dirksen, Doug Wright, my parents (Bea and Lee Moody), John Dillon, Shane Williams, Connie Starline, Bob and Sandy Finkbine, Sue Grile, Charlie Keaser, Delbert Braund, Jim Perkins, Linda Benge Burnfield, Mary Devor, Rebecca Van De Grift, Mary Hartwick, Sandy Yagle Miller, Kent Snyder, Larry Bryson, Mike Brown (Dan’s brother), Joe Martin, Karli Doreen Wicker, Becky Stephens Keel, Susan Yagle, Steve Schafer, Cary VanDeGrift, Tracy Bailey, Josh Riffell, Tom Brumbaugh, Katie Day, Jeff and Ellie Keaser, Jack Riegle, Mike and Brenda Grimes, Bill Grimes, Johnny Young, Margaret “Peg Bundy,” Jim Erwin, Dick Shook, Emily Tuco, Kevin Hemmerich, Ray Dickey Jr., John Widener Jr., Chevone Singer, Tonya Anthony, Lynn Keller, Lyla Stone, Darren Coby, Teresa Hoff Gross, Joe Martin, “Bud” Self, Phyllis Turner, John Brandt, Jane Landis, Kenny Chancey, Paul Hodson, Ted Royster, Brenda Wallace, Penny Starns, Dave Sloan, Don DeBord.
Mike Monnin, Leslie Prestel, Carla Gilland, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Teresa (Mayo) Hammons, Sam and Melissa Strosnider, Donnie Wintrow, Suzy Heck Schilling, Addie Henderson, Lucas Bryant, Dave Morrow, Shirley (Riffell) Morrow, Mike Martin, Barbara Caupp, Barb Skinner, Mel Grile, Terry Amstutz, Patty Sells, Samantha Smith, Deb Davidson-Smith, Ron Nisonger, Daniel Redmond, Etta Walker, Glen Hufford, Pat Johnson, Howard Hemmerly, Shannon Peters Hall, Todd Walls, Earl Moore, Linda Malott, Jim and Patsy Schneider, Curtis Miller, Ron Kramer, Holli Anderson, Melissa “Missy” Helmer, Cindy Cunningham Fleenor, Bob Leugers, Jeff Schricker, Susie Gress of Nebraska, Angel Nicely, Bob Codling Sr., Jerry Paulus.
Amber Kiser, Wyoneda Stephens, Kathy Walter, Rob Hathaway, Mac Goodpaster, Alberta Aukerman, Chuck Davis, Dolores Nestor, Linda Lore, Rylee Blanken, Julie Widener, Deputy Dave Werling, Dana Holzapfel, Earl Curry, Kara Didier, Nick Voisard, Laura Harman, Dorothy Rismiller, Betty (Koons) Tinkham, Carla Welch, Keith Hiegel, Mike Collins, Chad Wert, Greg Eubank, Shane Wetzel, Brandy Reier, Lester Ward, Zane Wetzel, Gertie Hampshire, Don Hittle, Bill Schuette and all of our military people as well as this nation and to those who suffer from the many debilitating diseases.
Jamie and I send our condolences to the families of Nellie Upchurch, Dave Rapier, Don Wentworth, Bud Wirrig, Ernest “Bud” Cooper, Phyllis B. Brumbaugh, Doyle Smith and Brenda Baker.
Think about it: All the statistics in the world can’t measure the warmth of a smile. - Unknown
Linda Moody is the Features Editor for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Sunday. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 937-548-3151, ext. 1750, or direct at work at 937-569-4315. Viewpoints expressed in these opinion pieces are the work of the author. The Daily Advocate does not endorse these viewpoints or the independent activities of the author.