Ansonia Volunteer Fire Department’s 34nd annual chili supper and Halloween parade is planned for Oct. 27; with the chili supper (eat in or carry out) starting at 5 p.m. and continuing until sold out. Line-up for the parade is at 6:30 p.m., and it will start at 7.
Prizes will be awarded for best costumes, and reportedly the largest raffle ever for the event will follow the parade. The drawing for such prizes as whole hog and gift certificates will be held after the parade and costume contest. Donations are $1 a ticket or six for $5, and winners need not be present to win.
Tickets are on sale now. See any firefighter or by calling the fire department and leaving a message at 937-337-1811 for purchase of tickets.
“Support your local fire department and come out for a fun-filled family evening while enjoying food, prizes, and costumes,” said organizers. “All proceeds will support the fire department to ensure we can continue to provide the best possible service to the community.”
Another special event coming up this week is the birthday, once again, of my son, Jamie. He will be turning 41 on Wednesday, Oct. 19.
There won’t be as big a fanfare as there was last year, when he turned the big 4-0. Happy birthday, sonny boy!
• The Treaty City Senior Dances will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. Mondays, except for the first Mondays of the month, at the VFW Post on North Ohio Street in Greenville.
• Upcoming Ansonia American Legion events are steak fry from 5 to 7 p.m. Oct. 15 for $13; Halloween party (wear a costume) featuring Whiskey Business on Oct. 22. And there are also gatherings for the Ohio State games.
Happy birthday to:
• Oct. 17 to Greg Whistler.
• Oct. 20 to Rita Hupman McCans, Jerry Koverman, Marilyn Peterson, Irma Stewart, Michelle Leugers Enicks, Chelsea Gates, Gene Schlechty, Stacy Mortensen and Amber Mangen.
• Oct. 21 to Beverly McCabe Baker, Rachel Wellman, Teresa Erwin, Tim Tyo, Barbara Heindl, Trudy Matthew, Doug Amspaugh, Emily Sturgill, Randy Christian, Sherry Mueller (50) and Pam Phillippi (65).
• Oct. 22 to Devon Daniels, Jack Riegle, Tina Kiser Deaton, Eddie Cline, Dillon McCowan, Ronnie Kremer, Amanda Gibboney and Helen Locke.
• Oct. 23 to Gary Francis, Jerod Pratt, Jay Kimmel, Joseph Floyd Ray Riffell, twins Rick and Dick Hunt and Ashley McCleskey.
• Oct. 24 to Bree Hall, Marty Davis, Rex Fields, Ron Cox, Bill Cornett, Gary L. Jenkinson and Marvin McCabe.
• Oct. 25 to Kami Shinn Phlipot, Renea McCleskey (50), Deb Davidson Smith, Vic Rifenberg, Jim Brewer, Jason Newbauer, Norm Christian, Kali Wilcutt, Dianna Keller, Doug Falknor, Danette Fitzgerald, Stanley Cox, Cuyler McCartney, Lois Hittle, Dave Buxton,
• Oct. 26 to Katherine Obringer, Jennifer Cruze, Sue Leuger, Jeff Zumbrun, Karen Price, John Hathaway Jr., Bob Bennett and Tracy Post.
Happy anniversary to Pastor Don and Judy Brode on Oct. 18; Bob and Sarah Daugherty on Oct. 20; Ed and Vicki Ruhe on Oct. 21; Gene and Cheryl Clouse (50), Doug and Carla Cothran, Drew and Roxanne Meadows, Dean and Mary Hurd and Mike and Rose Stegall, all on Oct. 22; Dan and Tara George on Oct. 23; Sheila and Dan Lenker (35) on Oct. 24; and Jeff and Candy Stump on Oct. 25.
Don’t forget to pray for: Tom Brumbaugh Jr., Steve Schafer, Tom Hawkins, Roxanne Reichard-Grant, Robin Grice, Connie Apple, Ron Kreitzer, Kohen Thwaits, Jerrod Pratt, Keith Starks, Scott and Judy Stahl, Dawn Oldiges, Judy York, Lowell Elsass, Linda Johnston, Stacy Dorko, Tracy Bailey, Shannon Peters Hall, Jack Riegle, Bruce Knick, Aiden Turner, Brody Wilson, Terri Martin, Marie Rieman, Carol Bollheimer, Roger McEowen, Lara Brunner, Al Bliss, Tim King, Gary Poor, Clinton Linebaugh, Layna Best, Jean Eastridge, Justin Ungericht, Alishia Clark Funk, Glenna Curry, Tom Hawkins, Mike Bale, Phyllis Gibbons, Rosemary Wetzel, Angie Young Noggler, Kenny Borger, Mary Marshall, Jenson Fullerton, Gary Reier, Carmen Sanders, Michael Allen Clark, Elmer Long, Anthony Joyner, Shirley Mead, Harry Moody, Jim Moody, Linda Subler, Shelly Hoffman, Betty Grimes, Kathy Magoto, Dean Brewer, Lisa Hall, Tammy Shapiro, Ken Martin, David Magoto, Phil Clark, Sonny Hunt, Don and Nina McDaniel, D’Arleen Waymire, Pappy Harshman, Delores Duncan, John Klipstine, Elsie Svajda, Dave Sherman, Sue Chitty, Phil Chilcoat, Christine Pipenger, Paul Barton, Terry Ungericht, Gracyn Blackburn, Robert Codling, Dave Starline, Bob Hiestand Jr.
Also, Kathy and Tom Hamilton, Joanne Sharp, Ivan Miller, Cindy Elson, Cary Van De Grift, Dina Dancer Morris, Teresa Mayo Amspaugh, Tina Kiser Deaton, Tonia Thompson, Fred Monnin, Stephen “Brownie” Brown, Nate Epperson, Brad Pipenger, Faye Schlecty, Sheila Reed, Bill Beasley, Steve Cunningham, Kody Ketring, Bob and Sandy Finkbine, Kevin Dickey, Joe Martin, Brenda Grimes, Margaret “Peg” Bundy, Kevin Hemmerich, Penny Starns, Tim Heck, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Addie Henderson, Barb Morrow Zimmerman, Samantha Smith, Todd Walls, Ron Kramer, Dana Holzapfel, Kara Didier, Carla Welch, Bill Schuette and to all those others who suffer from the many debilitating diseases.
And, God bless all of our military people serving and protecting this nation, as well as rescue, fire and law enforcement personnel who put their lives on the line to protect us.
Son Jamie and I extend our condolences to the families of: Monty Young, Nina Collett and Richard Buchy.
Think about it: “Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.” — William Shakespeare
Linda Moody is a staff writer for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Saturday. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU