Drug addiction. It’s all over the news….not only here in Darke County but across the nation and probably just as much abroad.
Why would anybody want to depend on drugs? Is a “high” or whatever they get from doing it that much more important than having control over their life as well as their family life?
In a way, you have to have pity on those who have gotten addicted and don’t know how to get off whatever drug they are on, because maybe they are afraid of what may happen during detox or they may even fear who is giving it to them. But you must remember, too, they [the users] could have said “no” from the very start.
For the record, I don’t hate the addict; I hate the disease.
I just hope someone wakes up this country, so we can get back to normal if that is even a possibility.
I wish I didn’t have to take medications at all, but I do to protect my only surviving kidney. There was a day when I didn’t take any medicine until renal surgery 17 years ago.
It’s scares me sometimes just driving down the road. Many times, I wonder who is behind the wheel coming my way or even following behind. You just don’t know.
But, it’s not all about me. It’s about each and every one of us and protecting ourselves and our families from someone who apparently doesn’t care.
My plea is for people to not even get into drugs. And, if they already are, to find a way to get sober and clean.
We need clear-minded, independent and self-sustaining people to keep this country going.
So, get help. It will change many lives.
• The next Treaty City Seniors dance will be Monday at the VFW Post on North Ohio Street in Greenville. Dancing is from 1 to 4 p.m. with Tom Everhart serving as deejay.
• Greenville Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 7262 and the Girl Scouts of Western Ohio (GSWO) in Operation Cookie will be selling cookies for military personnel serving overseas. Girl Scout Cookie customers can come to the VFW on March 11 from 4 to 7 p.m. in the front part of the building to order their cookies at a booth that will be set up featuring the cookies. These cookies, it was noted, will go to men and women in the military for those who wish to do so.
•The Ansonia American Legion will host 50 Cent Wings/Card Night this coming Wednesday and its all-y0u-can-eat fish fry will be held from 4 to 6:30 p.m. for $8.
Happy birthday to:
• March 5 to Don Shilt (80 years young).
• March 8 to Janet Clemens, Morgan Anderson, Aaron Guthrie, Bradin Daniels, Nicole Williams, Tim Hiestand and Laura Everman.
• March 9 to Lyle Cochran, Jan Riegle Turner, Richard Birt, Phyllis Oliver, Sharie Hammontree, Steve Brunk, Chris Barnhardt and Julie Baldwin-Hall.
• March 10 to Jodi Norton Deaton, Amarylis Flatter Worthen, Pat Spearman, Staci Schmidt, Amber Gelhaus Jason Duff and Wilma Flack.
• March 11 to Karlee Deaton (14), Michelle Matevia, Andrew Grow, John Coppess, Jason Hemmerich and Phil Crawford.
• March 12 to Diane Leeper-Jenkins, Kurt Troutwine, Scott Sink, Don Lyme, Eric Bickel, Jerry Young, David Ketring, Missy Kammer Riethman, David Kruckeberg, Jeri Dispennette, Brian Schwieterman, Marilyn Wetzel, Kailey Hammaker, Thomas Klingshirn, Cheryl Leeper and Krystal Miller Stewart.
• March 13 to Mary Duncan, Doug Coby, Deb Sanders Staver, Shane Clark, Heath Gessler, Margaret Hoening, Brent Faller, Brian Saintignon and Gina Ferguson.
• March 14 to Dixie Hemmerich Stickelman, Madyson Buckingham, Hazel Meyers, Sharon Siders of Bradford, Jesse Cline, Kathy Miller, Lily Hunton, Kenny Miller, Justin Petrosino and Joyce Dodson.
Happy belated birthday to Cathy Beam on March 1.
Happy anniversary to Shirley and Otis Mead on March 9; Larry and Becky Garrison on March 11; Jay and Amber Biddlestone on March 12; Mike and Shari Hammontree on March 13; and Bill and Jane Gantt on March 14.
Don’t forget to pray for: Tom Brumbaugh Jr., Harry Moody, Jim Moody, Rosemary Goodpaster Wetzel, Betty Kremer, Jeff Stump, Stacy Dorko, Charlotte Metzcar, Vicki Wilker Gibson, Vickie Martin, Carl Francis, Evan Boggs, Rhonda Rodeheffer Rismiller, Janet Bolin, Shirley Miller, Roger Flory, Albert Duncan, Jack Good, Bill Duncan, Keith Starks, Darla Bowman Miller, Cheri Antrobus Davis, Scott Clark, Steve Schafer, Tom Hawkins, Greg Moody, Connie Apple, Jodie Glick, Kohen Thwaits, Jerrod Pratt, Dawn Oldiges, Judy York, Lowell Elsass, Linda Johnston, Tracy Bailey, Shannon Peters Hall, Jack Riegle, Bruce Knick, Aiden Turner, Brody Wilson, Carol Bollheimer, Roger McEowen, Al Bliss, Tim King, Gary Poor, Layna Best, Jean Eastridge, Alishia Clark Funk, Glenna Curry, Mike Bale, Phyllis Gibbons, Carmen Sanders, Michael Allen Clark, Elmer Long, Shirley Mead, Kathy Magoto,
Also, Wanda and Joe Bailey, Shelly Hoffman, Lisa Hall, Tammy Shapiro, David Magoto, Phil Clark, Sonny Hunt, Don and Nina McDaniel, D’Arleen Waymire, Pappy Harshman, Delores Duncan, John Klipstine, Elsie Svajda, Sue Chitty, Phil Chilcoat, Christine Pipenger, Paul Barton, Terry Ungericht, Gracyn Blackburn, Dave Starline, Bob Hiestand Jr., Kathy and Tom Hamilton, Joanne Sharp, Ivan Miller, Cindy Elson, Cary Van De Grift, Teresa Mayo Amspaugh, Tina Kiser Deaton, Tonia Thompson, Fred Monnin, Faye Schlecty, Sheila Reed, Bill Beasley, Kody Ketring, Bob and Sandy Finkbine, Kevin Dickey, Margaret “Peg” Bundy, Kevin Hemmerich, Penny Starns, Tim Heck, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Addie Henderson, Samantha Smith, Todd Walls, Ron Kramer, Dana Holzapfel, Kara Didier, Carla Welch and Bill Schuette.
And, pray for all those others who suffer from the many debilitating diseases, and may God bless all of our military people serving and protecting this nation, as well as rescue, fire and law enforcement personnel who put their lives on the line to protect us.
Jamie and I sincerely extend our condolences to the families of: Wanda Rismiller, James Lennon and Dorvan Phlipot.
Think about it: “I used to be indecisive, but now I am just not sure.” — Unknown
Linda Moody is a staff writer for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Saturday. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU