I recently received word that two friends won’t be able to attend this year’s Great Darke County Fair because of health issues. I just know they both will miss it, but a person has to do what he/she needs to do to keep their health in tact.
I know, I was one of them 15 years ago, when my right kidney was removed. The surgery was on Aug. 11, like son Jamie would say Hulk Hogan’s birthday, and I was released from the hospital a week later, the first day of fair that year.
I truly did miss the fair but knew I wasn’t in any shape to go and walk through the crowds like you usually have to do there. Someone would run into me and I would probably go berserk. I think even a ride in a wheelchair would have done me in, with all the bumps it would hit.
That was the first year, I think, that bungee jumping was featured and good friend (the late) Bob Curtis called one day and asked me if I would go with him to the fair and go bungee jumping. He said he would pay. Of course, you had to know what my answer was. I couldn’t even imagine doing anything like that in my condition, not to mention my fear of heights. In fact, I wonder why anybody would have wanted to do that.
That surgery was probably the most painful thing I ever went through in my life and I wanted to convalesce as soon as I possibly could. I did get to go back to work at five weeks instead of six after that, but I’m sure if I took Bob up on his offer, I would either have ended up going back into the hospital or worse.
Those are the kind of friends I like to have, though…the ones who can make me laugh which makes life more bearable. And, that’s probably what I missed about the fair that year…getting to see those people. But, I had lots of cards and phone calls and Jamie brought home some messages from well-wishers he got to see at the fair.
So, I sympathize with those who won’t be able to go this year, and I wish them well in their own convalescence. May God speed.
See you others at the fair!
• Aug. 20 to Jennifer Gray, Bertha Archey, Rick Riffell (65), Helen Dull, Shirley Yohey, Jennifer Gray (35), Richard Yount, Ted Finnarn and Gina Billenstein.
• Aug. 21 to Otis Stewart, Terri Hunt, Kay Jones, Jean Young, Rikki Holton and Suzanne (Mrs. Ron) Smith.
• Aug. 22 to Maddicyn Brumbaugh, Rena Schlater, Darrin Fox, Debbie Liette and Fred McMaken.
• Aug. 23 to Treva Heft, Kris Brown, Connie Faller Kunk, Steve Faller, Moleta Mikesell, Julie Wilkin, Pat Franklin and Sarah Carroll.
• Aug. 24 to Sheila Lenker, Derek Hall, Sharon Hollinger, Jeff Bubeck, Amanda Rodeheffer-Olson, Lisa Sink, Stoney Dynes, Max Subler, Nick Buckingham (17), Josh Partin, Becky Harshman and Larry Melling.
• Aug. 25 to Jason Stover, Zach Androne, Mandy Barga Mangen, Chad Robison, Jennifer Lemon, Mark Maloy, Patsy Clark, Carol Mikesell, William E. Hole, Carol Bubeck, Shane Hall (35), Elaine Mueller, Lisa Sink, Kamran Stucky, Phyllis Hess and Trevor Alexander.
• Aug. 26 to Chad Robison, Ronnie Broering, Ian Brown, Phyllis Mong, Brandon Snyder, Darrell Leeper and Rachel Class.
Happy belated birthday to Victoria Peters on Aug. 4.
Happy anniversary to: Dan and Marty Schipfer on Aug. 20; Missy and Gordy Schmitz on Aug. 24; Ted and Jona Liette on Aug. 25; and Jack and Carol Bubeck (15), Scott and Kim Ward and Harry and Rosemarie Elllison, all on Aug. 26.
Happy belated anniversary to John and Judy Middleton (50) on Aug.7; and Chuck “C.W.” and Vanessa Cruze (34) on Aug. 8.
Don’t forget to pray for: Stacy Dorko, Scarlett and Gracyn Blackburn, Jim Moody, Joe Bailey, Mel Grile, Robert Codling, Kohen Thwaits, Kenny Dunevant, Joe Whittington, J. C. and D’Arleen Waymire, Deanna Jones, William DeBord, Dave Starline, Bob Hiestand Jr., Kathy and Tom Hamilton, John Klipstine, Joanne Sharp, Larry Bemis, Ivan Miller, Cindy Elson, Cary Van De Grift, Dina Dancer Morris, Teresa Mayo Hammons, Jim Crotcher, Tina Kiser Deaton, Alvera Schmitz, Jerrod Pratt, Vicky Henderson, Julia Frey, Tonia Thompson, Fred Monnin, Thelma Shade, Bob Coppock, Lee Moody, Greg Moody, Stephen “Brownie” Brown, Faye Schlecty, Michelle Sparks Reed, Bill Beasley, Candy Riegle, Steve Cunningham, Kody Ketring, Allan Addington, Bob and Sandy Finkbine, Kevin Dickey, Joe Martin, Tracy Bailey, Brenda Grimes, Margaret “Peg” Bundy, Kevin Hemmerich, Ray Dickey Jr., Penny Starns, Tim Heck, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Suzy Heck Schilling, Addie Henderson, Barb Morrow Zimmerman, Samantha Smith, Shannon Peters Hall, Todd Walls, Ron Kramer, Melissa “Missy” Helmer, Susie Gress of Nebraska, Dana Holzapfel, Kara Didier, Carla Welch, Bill Schuette and to all those others who suffer from the many debilitating diseases as well as all of our military people serving and protecting this nation.
Son Jamie and I express our sincere condolences to the families of: Jennifer Edger, Robert Boone and Doris Warrell.
Think about it: “You are part of a puzzle in someone’s life. You may never know where you fit. But, someone’s life may never be complete without you in it.” – curiano.com
Linda Moody is a staff writer for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Sunday. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.