My parents, Lee Jr. and Beatrice “Bea” Alvera (Riffell) Moody, will mark their 69th wedding anniversary next Saturday.
Believe it or not, they met at the Darke County Fair. It was before Dad went into the Army at the end of World War II, because they communicated via letters.
They were married Sept. 5, 1946.
Dad was the eldest of five children of (the late) Clark Leroy “Lee” and Laura (Shook) Moody, and Mom was the youngest of nine children of (the late) Mary (Stoner) and Emery Riffell.
Dad will turn 89 on his birthday, Sept. 21, and Mom will mark her 88th on Dec. 27.
My brother, Ron (Moody), sisters Bev (now Brumbaugh) and Brenda (now Norton), and myself could not have asked for better parents. And, this patriarch and matriarch have the respect of all of their grandchildren and great-grandchildren as well.
Mom and Dad loved children, and they instilled that in us, in addition to work ethic and, for some of us (maybe not me), special skills.
I am fortunate to have been raised in this family and thank God that He chose them to be my parents. Happy anniversary, Mom and Dad!
• Upcoming events at the Ansonia American Legion are: the fish fry from 4 to 7 p.m. Sept. 4; the burrito sales from 5 to 8 p.m. on Sept. 11; the breakfast from 6 to 11 a.m. Sept. 12; and steak fry on Sept. 19.
• The Rose Hill Church’s next gospel sing will be Sept. 13 at 4 p.m.
• Sept. 3 to Georgette Thornhill, Sharon Staver Lyme, Rhonda Rismiller, Susie Riegle, Delmer Batten, Kay Curry, Dan Wilkin, Lila Pinney, Chris Rinderle and Chad Denniston.
• Sept. 4 to Joe Widener (35), Karen Holsapple, Rick Hunt, Marie Keaser (80), Joanne Deeter, and Dylan Hathaway.
• Sept. 5 to Steph Helmke, Cassandra Hartzell, Jill Walters-Riegel and LuAnn Boyd.
• Sept. 6 to Charlene Thornhill, Rose Swanson and Traci Androne.
• Sept. 7 to Linda Mikesell-Schatz, David Keiser, Ginny Nieport, Martha Hutchens, Sara K. Rice, Grace Barga, Shirley Miller and Joanne Wilker.
• Sept. 8 to Myron “Bud” Caupp, Mark Miller, Eric Elliott, Jim Sommer, Keith Green, Mark Miller, Steve Wilker (55), Mike batten and Duke Gibbs.
Happy anniversary to: Coy and Chris Boroff and Gary and Sharon Deeter, all on Sept. 3; Charlie and Marie Keaser on Sept. 4; Mom and Dad, Paul and Rhonda Gigandet, and Maurice and Ruth Herron, all on Sept. 5; Ted and Karen Nealeigh on Sept. 6; John and Roberta Westfall and Joanne and Jerry Wilker, all on Sept. 7.
Don’t forget to pray for: Stacy Dorko, Gloria Keller-Brinley, Linda Johnston, Gerald Rhoades, Albert Duncan, Delores Duncan, Ansonia Police Chief Frank Shapiro, John Klipstine, Greg Moody, Elsie Svajda, Dave Sherman, Ron Kreitzer, Paul Barton, Terry Ungericht, Scarlett and Gracyn Blackburn, Jim Moody, Lowell Arnold, Joe Bailey, Mel Grile, Robert Codling, Kohen Thwaits, Kenny Dunevant, Joe Whittington, J. C. and D’Arleen Waymire, Deanna Jones, William DeBord, Dave Starline, Bob Hiestand Jr., Kathy and Tom Hamilton, Joanne Sharp, Larry Bemis, Ivan Miller, Cindy Elson, Cary Van De Grift, Dina Dancer Morris, Teresa Mayo Hammons, Jim Crotcher, Tina Kiser Deaton, Alvera Schmitz, Jerrod Pratt, Vicky Henderson, Julia Frey, Tonia Thompson, Fred Monnin, Thelma Shade, Bob Coppock, Lee Moody, Stephen “Brownie” Brown, Faye Schlecty, Michelle Sparks Reed, Bill Beasley, Steve Cunningham, Kody Ketring, Allan Addington, Bob and Sandy Finkbine, Kevin Dickey, Joe Martin, Tracy Bailey, Brenda Grimes, Margaret “Peg” Bundy, Kevin Hemmerich, Ray Dickey Jr., Penny Starns, Tim Heck, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Suzy Heck Schilling, Addie Henderson, Barb Morrow Zimmerman, Samantha Smith, Shannon Peters Hall, Todd Walls, Ron Kramer, Melissa “Missy” Helmer, Susie Gress of Nebraska, Dana Holzapfel, Kara Didier, Carla Welch, Bill Schuette and to all those others who suffer from the many debilitating diseases as well as all of our military people serving and protecting this nation.
Son Jamie and I express our sincere condolences to the families of: Gail Teegarden, Brian Miller, John Pequignot, Wes Reier, Holly Shiverdecker, Mary Wetzel and Jamie Harlow.
Think about it: “A smart person knows what to say…a wise person knows whether to say it or not.” —Unknown
Linda Moody is a staff writer for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Sunday. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.