COLUMBUS – For a third consecutive year the Midwest Athletic Conference will have three football teams play for Ohio High School Athletic Association state championships.
Also, Trotwood-Madison from the Greater Western Ohio Conference also will play for a state championship for the fifth time in the past seven years.
Trotwood-Madison will play Akron Archbishop Hoban for the Division III state championship at 3 p.m. Saturday at The Ohio State University’s Ohio Stadium in Columbus. Trotwood advanced to the state championship game by defeating Toledo Central Catholic 36-0 on Saturday night.
Coldwater from the MAC will play Canton Central Catholic for the Division V state championship at 8 p.m. Saturday at The Ohio State University’s Ohio Stadium in Columbus. Coldwater advanced to the state championship by defeating Coshocton 33-14 on Saturday. The Division V state championship game will be a rematch of last year when Coldwater beat Canton Central Catholic 35-18.
Minster from the MAC will play Warren John F. Kennedy for the Division VII state championship at 10 a.m. Saturday at The Ohio State University’s Ohio Stadium in Columbus. Minster advanced to the state finals by defeating McComb 27-23 in the state semifinals.
Marion Local from the MAC will play Cuyahoga Heights for the Division VI state championship at 10 a.m. Friday at The Ohio State University’s Ohio Stadium in Columbus. Marion Local advanced to the state finals by defeating Patrick Henry 36-7 in the state semifinals on Friday.
In 2014 the trio of Coldwater, Marion Local and Minster all won state championships – making the MAC the first conference in OHSAA football history to win three state championships in a single year. Last year Coldwater and Fort Recovery from the MAC won state titles while Marion Local finished as the Division VI state runner up.
OHSAA state football championships
• 7:30 p.m. Thursday — Div. II: Massillon Perry (12-2) vs. Cincinnati La Salle (12-2)
• 10 a.m. Friday — Div. VI: Cuyahoga Heights (14-0) vs. Maria Stein Marion Local (13-1)
• 3 p.m. Friday — Div. IV: Columbus Bishop Hartley (11-2) vs. Steubenville (13-1)
• 8 p.m. Friday — Div. I: Cincinnati St. Xavier (9-5) vs. Cleveland St. Ignatius (13-1)
• 10 a.m. Saturday — Div. VII: Minster (10-4) vs. Warren John F. Kennedy (13-1)
• 3 p.m. Saturday — Div. III: Trotwood-Madison (12-2) vs. Akron Archbishop Hoban (13-1)
• 8 p.m. Saturday — Div. V: Canton Central Catholic (10-3) vs. Coldwater (13-1)
Kyle Shaner may be reached at 937-569-4316. Follow me on Twitter @KShanerAdvocate or get updates on Facebook by searching Darke County Sports or Advocate 360. For more features online go to dailyadvocate.com.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU