GREENVILLE — Fort GreeneVille Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution had a flag-raising ceremony in thanks for the Greenville Rotary Club grant that the chapter received. The Greenville Rotary Club awarded the DAR chapter a grant to repair the roof of the shelter house on the Studabaker Schoolhouse property.
The Studabaker Schoolhouse property is an historical landmark. The schoolhouse was the first brick school house in Darke County. It was built by Darke County pioneer Abraham Studebaker in 1840. Attending the flag raising was Greenville Rotary Club representative Ben Studabaker. He is a ninth-generation Studabaker. Also in attendance was Don Dietrich representing the VFW Post 7262 and Greenville American Legion Post 140. The VFW and American Legion donated the American and MIA/POW flags. The Ohio flag was donated by State Representative Jim Buchy.
The DAR chapter awarded the Greenville Rotary a certificate for “Continuing to follow their mission: of providing service to others, promoting integrity, and advance world understanding, goodwill, and peace through its fellowship of business, professional, and community leaders”.
Known as the largest women’s patriotic organization in the world, DAR has more than 165,000 members with approximately 3,000 chapters in all 50 states and 11 foreign countries. The DAR has long promoted patriotis, historical preservation and education. For more information about DAR and its programs visit www.dar.org or http://fortgreenevilledar.com/.