GREENVILLE – The American Red Cross is offering adult and pediatric first aid, CPR and AED courses in Greenville on Tuesday beginning at 10 a.m. at 130 Martz St.
The courses teach you:
* How to respond to the person next to you choking on that last corn kernel.
* What to do if your co-worker’s daily doughnut turns against him and causes his heart to stop mid-breakfast.
* How to stop the bleeding when your friend injures herself fighting for the last scoop of chocolate ice cream.
* How to use a defibrillator, which is easier to use than it is to pronounce.
* How to give CPR to a baby…because someone’s got to take care of them.
In addition to the classroom lessons, the course includes an online learning component. Rather than the standard “read and take a multiple-choice quiz” formula, the Red Cross took a page from the Xbox and Wii generation. Students now use an interactive, animated, virtual learning formula. In short, they learn the basics of saving a life by playing a game in which they must respond to a real-life emergency.
The courses result in a two-year Red Cross certification. The prices for the courses range from $55 to $85, depending on the courses chosen. Advanced registration is required. To register for a class or find more information, call 1-800-RED CROSS or visit redcross.org/take-a-class.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU