UNION CITY, Ohio — The Mississinawa Valley Local Board of Education accepted two requests for MD students to attend two functions at its recent regular regular meeting.
One was to travel to Muncie, Indiana, during the school day of Dec. 13, and the other was approved to attend the Shrine Circus in Fort Wayne, Indiana, on Jan. 27, 2017.
In other matters, the board:
• Approved FMLA for both Pam Hampshire and Elaine Bailey.
• Okayed the following co-curricular contracts for the 2017-18 school year: Mike Griffin, head varsity coach for high school football; John Hershey, head varsity coach for high school golf; Billie Hunt, head varsity coach for high school girls’ volleyball (1/2), and Melanie Neargarder, head varsity coach for high school girls’ volleyball (1/2).
• Approved 23 board policies and procedures which had revisions.
• Approved Rob Collins as a volunteer high school boys’ baseball coach for the 2016-17 school year.
• Recognized Richard Yount for all of his extra efforts while his supervisor was off work.
• Approved a resolution declaring the intention to proceed under the alternative tax document format provided under Section 5705.281 of the Ohio Revised Code and to refrain from the preparation of a tax budget for the Fiscal Year 2018, and authorizing and directing the chief fiscal officer of Mississinawa Valley Local School District to prepare and to submit to the Darke County Budget Commission such information and documents as are necessary incident to said process and submission, and to take such other actions as may be reasonably necessary incident there to.
• Was informed the elementary spelling bee champion this year is Makenna Guillozet. Dylan Wehrkamp was second and Sierra Grim was third. Typically, only the top two spellers go to the county spelling bee in January, but this year the top four spellers will be going and representing MVES. Troy Woodbury rounds out the top four spellers.
• Was informed National Honor Society induction was held under Kim Hershey’s direction. New inductees are Amanda Armstrong, Noah Hopkins, Josiah Philiposian, Paxton Scholl, Elaina Stump and Brieanne Varvel. Current members are Kelsie Hunt, Shaiann Livingston and Madison Stachler.
• Learned the Novice Parliamentary Procedure team placed third and fifth in the county contest. The team members are Caiden Beanblossom, Dalton Brim, Wyatt Feltner, Damon Howell, Lindsay Johns, Blayne Johnson, Brenden King, Kya Lavy, Mike Rammel, Ellie Reichard, Emily Scholl, Leah Scholl, Taylor Stachler, Jerrod Teegarden and Hawk Thomas. The Advanced Parliamentary Procedure team placed fourth at county. The team members are Cody Dirksen, Shaiann Livingston, Shelby Manning, Emily Schmitz, Tom Schmitz, Blake Scholl and Madison Stachler. Students in this event learn parliamentary procedures as well as debating in a professional and well-spoken manner.