Greenville Fire Department investigates vehicle fire


By Jim Comer - For The Daily Advocate



A vehicle had been sitting disabled since December of 2017 caught fire at approximately 1 a.m. Tuesday in Greenville.

A vehicle had been sitting disabled since December of 2017 caught fire at approximately 1 a.m. Tuesday in Greenville.


Jim Comer | For The Daily Advocate

A vehicle had been sitting disabled since December of 2017 caught fire at approximately 1 a.m. Tuesday in Greenville.


Jim Comer | For The Daily Advocate

GREENVILLE – Officials are investigating a fire involving a vehicle that has been disabled for several months.

At approximately 1 a.m. Tuesday, Greenville City Fire as well as officers from Greenville City Police Department were dispatched to the alley between Hall and Tiffin streets in regards to a vehicle fire. Arriving units found a fully involved vehicle fire sitting in close proximity of a garage.

According to the Greenville City Fire Department, a 2008 Hyundai Accent, parked outside of a garage in the alley behind 241 Tiffin St., was destroyed in the fire. Although the vehicle was sitting within feet of the garage, only minor damage was sustained to one of the garage doors.

The owner of the vehicle, Jeffrey Billups, said the vehicle had been sitting disabled since December of 2017 while repairs were being made and no longer had any fuel or battery in it.

While there were no valuables in the vehicle, the owner said he thinks someone had been in it due to the fact that the driver’s side door, which could only be open from the inside, had been found open when the fire was discovered.

“Someone had to crawl through the car to get it open,” Billups said.

The fire will remain under investigation by both the Greenville City Fire Department and the Greenville City Police Department.

A vehicle had been sitting disabled since December of 2017 caught fire at approximately 1 a.m. Tuesday in Greenville.
https://www.dailyadvocate.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/34/2018/09/web1_WEB-IMG_0302-2-.jpgA vehicle had been sitting disabled since December of 2017 caught fire at approximately 1 a.m. Tuesday in Greenville. Jim Comer | For The Daily Advocate

A vehicle had been sitting disabled since December of 2017 caught fire at approximately 1 a.m. Tuesday in Greenville.
https://www.dailyadvocate.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/34/2018/09/web1_WEB-IMG_0303-2-.jpgA vehicle had been sitting disabled since December of 2017 caught fire at approximately 1 a.m. Tuesday in Greenville. Jim Comer | For The Daily Advocate

By Jim Comer

For The Daily Advocate