BOTKINS, Ohio – A farming family will welcome Bishop Joseph Binzer of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, as well as Catholics from the St. Marys and Sidney Deaneries to this year’s Rural-Urban Mass Thursday, July 23, at 6:30 p.m.
The Bishop will say Mass at the farm of Joe and Joanna Goettemoeller, 13775 Lock Two Road, Botkins. Some seating will be provided, but individuals attending Mass should consider bringing lawn chairs.
At Mass Bishop Binzer will present Catholic Century Farm Awards to 11 Catholic farm families who have applied for admission to the Catholic Century Farm Registry for the Sidney and St. Marys Deaneries. The award recognizes Catholic families who have continuously farmed the same land for 100 years or more, passing both farm and faith down through the generations. Catholic Rural Life of the St. Marys and Sidney Deaneries began offering the award in 2012.
Farms and families who will be honored this year are listed below along with their parish:
* The Bills Farm, Alvin and Madonna Bills, Maria Stein, St. Sebastian Parish
* The Cordonnier Farm, Dr. Eugene and Victoria Cordonnier, Russia, St. Remy Parish
* The Fullenkamp Farm, Daniel and Rebecca Fullenkamp, Maria Stein, St. John the Baptist Parish
* The Gaier Farm, the Gaier Family, Fort Loramie, St. Michael Parish
* The Homan Farm, Carl F. Homan, Coldwater, Holy Trinity Parish
* The Huwer Farm, Anna Marie Huwer, Coldwater, St. Francis Parish
* The Huwer/Grube Farm, Karen Grube, Coldwater, St. Peter Parish
* The Nerderman Farm, James P. and Mary Lou Nerderman, Celina, St. Denis Parish
* The Pohl/ Moeller Farm, Marvin and Janice (Pohl) Moeller, Coldwater, Holy Trinity Parish
* The Reichert Farm, John Reichert Family, Maria Stein, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish
* The Selhorst Farm, Keith T. and Roberta Selhorst and family, Coldwater, Holy Trinity Parish
Parishioners from the Petersburg Region parishes in Botkins, Wapakoneta, Fryburg and Rhine will offer refreshments following Mass.
The annual Rural-Urban Mass is an opportunity for farmers and the people who share in the benefits of an agricultural community to come together in a prayerful way to praise God for the blessings of faith, farm and family.
“Catholic Rural Life of the St. Marys and Sidney Deaneries plans the Rural-Urban Mass, alternating it between the two deaneries,” said Vern Seger, Chair of Catholic Rural Life.
Catholic Rural Life serves Catholics who directly work in agriculture or live in communities supported by agriculture. Catholic Rural Life of the St. Marys and Sidney Deaneries also has offered Rural Plunges to university and junior high school students and adult faith communities in addition to the Rural-Urban Mass.
The local group meets in January, March, May, July, September and November on the second Monday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at the St. Charles Senior Living Community, 2860 U.S. Route 127, Celina. Call Pam Long, Regional Director of the Catholic Social Action Office, for more information, 937-224-3026, or email email@example.com .