The Daytona 500 was this past weekend. It was a spectacular race with a photo-finish! A new NASCAR season is now in full swing!
My family and I used to live several miles from the Bristol Motor Speedway (Bristol, Tennessee) and it reportedly holds 160,000 people! When the Bristol Motor Speedway hosts a race – – fans from all over the country converge upon that region for the weekend. Hotels and campgrounds will be completely sold out for a 50-mile radius.
The excitement is always intense … the atmosphere is electric … all for a RACE!
In the race the fans will watch as their favorite drivers attempt to be the fastest in the race and to leave all of the other drivers in a cloud of dust.
In the race the winner basically ends the race exactly where he (or she) began the race.
In the race the winner will be drenched with champagne (or milk!), receive a huge trophy and a good chunk of change.
In fact, all the recent attention from the media regarding the Daytona 500 got me to thinking about another ‘race’ … a race that all of us are in.
Hebrews 12:1 challenges us to … “Run the race that is marked out for us.”
But this ‘race’ that we’re in is noticeably different …
* We’re in the race … not to be the fastest – but to be faithful!
* We’re in the race … not to leave others behind – but to bring others alongside of us!
* We’re in the race … not to please our fans – but to please our King!
* We’re in the race … not to end up where we began – but to end up in the presence of our Lord!
* We’re in the race … not to get a trophy or a chunk of change – but to receive a crown that will last forever!
Yes, indeed, we are in a race! The MOST IMPORTANT race of all time!
Ladies and gentlemen … START YOUR ENGINES!!
Dennis Wheeler is a volunteer citizen columnist, who serves The Daily Advocate readers weekly with his weekly column The Focus. Viewpoints expressed in the article are the work of the author. The Daily Advocate does not endorse these viewpoints or the independent activities of the author.