I truly enjoyed the prom, “An Evening of Stars,” held for special needs adults last Friday in the Versailles High School cafetorium.
Everyone ought to attend one of these and see how these special people just “shine” and dance as well as mingle with others.
There were 178 people who sent back RSVPs to the event.
The theme for the evening was “‘50s/’60s Cruise In,” and some were dressed accordingly, while others opted to arrive in formal wear. Nonetheless, it was a fun time.
Organizers were Janelle Koverman and Denise Good. An estimated 178 people attended the event, including their guests of honor, family members and caretakers.
Versailles Christian Church started this tradition five years ago. It was held there the first year; outgrew that spot and spent the next three years at the Elks Lodge in Greenville; and now, at Versailles Schools.
Not only was it nice to see the guests of honor having fun, but watching the church people get involved with the crowd as well as seeing families and caretakers there to be with their loved ones.
The Rev. Nick Dimmick, new pastor of the Versailles Christian Church, was there and also was seen moving in and out of the crowd.
I attended this prom last year, and enjoyed it so much then as I did this year. Hope it keeps that tradition.
I saw a lot of people I know there and enjoyed that too. Thanks for a wonderful evening!
• The last of Ansonia American Legion’s regular all-you-can-eat fish fries this season is May 6.
• The Treaty City Seniors Dances will continue every Monday from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Eagles Lodge on East Third Street in Greenville. Tom Everhart will entertain with his rock and roll music of the past. There will be food to purchase, soft drinks only, door prizes and a 50/50 drawing.
• April 21 to Amy Brown and Sue Grile.
• April 22 to Cary VandeGrift, Marvin Peters, Scott Gibboney, Don DeMange, Greg Amspaugh, Andrea Gray Baker, Scott Rudnick and Dixie Gray.
• April 23 to Gertie Leis (100), Danny Batten, Candice Kendall, Andy Gates, Kim Fourman Freeman, Bill Burk, Kevin Collins, George Stammen, Dave Bullard, Ryan Benge, Donna Howdieshell, Ronnie Mayo and Bill Merz.
• April 24 to Ron Greeson, Jeff Peters, Shari Best Wappelhorst, Angie Eastridge Jones, Phyllis Turner, Starr Baltes Schmitmeyer, Carol Good, Susan Schaar and Jeff Schricker.
• April 25 to Dennis “Beazer” Beasley, Makayla Waymire, Donn Thornhill, Ethan Reichert, Kent Wilcox, Debbie Hammontree, Emily Clark, Richie Black and Allen Michael Blackburn.
• April 26 to Shannon Peters Hall, Ryan Stoltz, Pat Graham, Deanna Moody, Lowell Scarberry, Richard E. Hole II, Stephanie Grilliot, Mike Husted and Heather Wilkin.
• April 27 to Alex Niekamp, Paul McCleskey, Dave George, Bill Roll and Teddi Blocher.
Happy belated birthday to Ron Kreitzer on April 11.
Happy anniversary to Dave and Karen Knapp (45 years) today; Larry and Traci Riley Jr. (25 years) on April 13; and to me, my 49th anniversary at The Daily Advocate on April 24.
Happy belated anniversary to Ron and Mary Kreitzer (46) on April 11.
Don’t forget to pray for: Stacy Dorko, Dick Michael, Shannon Peters Hall, Greg Whittington, George Fanning, Kenny Borger, Deanna Jones, Ray Francis, Mary Marshall, Jenson Fullerton, Judy York, Treva Hamilton, Sue Miller, Gary Reier, Carmen Sanders, Michael Allen Clark, Elmer Long, Anthony Joyner, Shirley Mead, Dave Sloan, Harry Moody, Jim Moody, Maxine Weimer, Linda Subler, Jerrod Pratt, Tim Ridenour, Shelly Hoffman, Keith Howard, Betty Grimes, Kathy Magoto, Dean Brewer, Lisa Hall, Dick Neff, Tammy Shapiro, Ken Martin, David Magoto, Phil Clark, Sonny Hunt, Jim Marker, Terry Longfellow, Don and Nina McDaniel, D’Arleen Waymire, Lee and Bea Moody (our parents), Linda Johnston, Ron Kreitzer, Pappy Harshman, Rick Jones, Delores Duncan, Frank Shapiro, John Klipstine, Elsie Svajda, Dave Sherman, Sue Chitty, Phil Chilcoat, Christine Pipenger, Paul Barton, Terry Ungericht, Gracyn Blackburn, Lowell Arnold, Robert Codling, Kohen Thwaits, William DeBord, Dave Starline, Bob Hiestand Jr.
Also, Kathy and Tom Hamilton, Joanne Sharp, Ivan Miller, Cindy Elson, Cary Van De Grift, Dina Dancer Morris, Teresa Mayo Amspaugh, Jim Crotcher, Tina Kiser Deaton, Alvera Schmitz, Tonia Thompson, Fred Monnin, Stephen “Brownie” Brown, Nate Epperson, Brad Pipenger, Faye Schlecty, Sheila Reed, Bill Beasley, Steve Cunningham, Kody Ketring, Bob and Sandy Finkbine, Kevin Dickey, Joe Martin, Tracy Bailey, Brenda Grimes, Margaret “Peg” Bundy, Kevin Hemmerich, Penny Starns, Tim Heck, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Addie Henderson, Barb Morrow Zimmerman, Samantha Smith, Todd Walls, Ron Kramer, Melissa “Missy” Helmer, Dana Holzapfel, Kara Didier, Carla Welch, Bill Schuette and to all those others who suffer from the many debilitating diseases.
And, God bless all of our military people serving and protecting this nation, as well as rescue, fire and law enforcement personnel who put their lives on the line to protect us.
Jamie and I send our condolences to the families of Bob Coppock, Mary Rismiller, Betty Meyers, Boots Breaden, Colleen Sevene, Charlie Colvin and Charlie LaFuze.
Think about it: “One thing that’s good about proscrastination is that you always have something planned for tomorrow.” — Unknown.
Linda Moody is a staff writer for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Sunday. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.