This is the first of my two annual tributes to my father, Lee Moody Jr.
It’s because of him that I let everyone know that each year that my brother, Ron, myself and my sister, Bev (now Brumbaugh) were all born on the same day — May 6 — a year apart in that order. And, then our younger sister, Brenda and husband Dan Norton were married the same day in 1978.
That’s something he is very proud of. Why? I don’t know, but I do it just for him.
Besides, we’re not the only ones born on that day in the family. Dad had a horse that gave birth on that day as well. Don’t know what it is with that date, but it has sure played a huge role in our family’s lives. In addition to having a colt born that day, Dad was also made foreman at New Idea in Coldwater on that date many years ago.
Poor Mom takes a back seat, even though it was her “Labor Day.” It doesn’t matter who takes credit, we siblings know we have great parents.
The other annual tribute to Dad will be on Father’s Day next month, but Mom will beat him to the draw there as I plan to have a Mother’s Day column for her next week.
And, did I tell you, that our birthdates are all divisible by three? Dad’s is on Sept. 21 [when he turns 90]; Mom’s is on Dec. 27 when she turns 89]; Brenda’s is on Nov. 24; and, of course, Ron, Bev and I were born on May 6. The parents will also be celebrating 70 years of marriage on Sept. 5. What a year of celebration! Whew, I’m tired already.
Happy birthday, Ron and Bev, and happy anniversary, Brenda and Dan. We love you, Mom and Dad.
• The last of Ansonia American Legion’s regular all-you-can-eat fish fries this season is on Friday.
• The Treaty City Seniors Dances continue every Monday from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Eagles Lodge on East Third Street in Greenville, and this week’s will be special as it will be the “Senior Seniors Prom.” A king and queen will be announced. Tom Everhart will entertain with his rock and roll music of the past. There will be food to purchase, soft drinks only, door prizes and a 50/50 drawing.
•The Ansonia Community Garage Sales will be June 9-11 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. To have a sale listed on the map, a $3 fee is required. The registration fee can be mailed to Betty Burnfield, P.O. Box 758, Ansonia, OH 45303 or may be dropped in the Water Department drop box, but they must be in an envelope marked Community Garage Sale. You may list three items only. Deadline to have your sale listed is May 27. Maps will be available at most area business and city building by June 8.
• May 4 to Charlie Broering, Maxine Waymire, Karen Waymire Link, Ashley Moody Gilpin, Brian Hartzell, Brittany Reed, Kelly Powell, the Rev. Dennis Wheeler, Shelly Haber, Jeremy Meade and Krista Goodwin Waymire.
• May 5 to Kelly Moody, Cindy Pike, Christina Chalmers, Anita Best, Herb Nieport, Trista Smith, Tom Beane Jr., Pat Williams, Tammy Moody Thobe, Jeff Slyder, Ron Bailey (60) and Carolyn Clack Ganger.
• May 6 to Brother Ron, sister Bev Brumbaugh and myself as well as Steve Clevenger, Denny Parsons, Margaret Hile Muhlenkamp, Robin Doyle Spencer, Dean Hurd, Boo Herron, Sherry Heck Klingshirn, Leah Hiestand, Denny Neargarder, Phillip Rismiller, Dr. Jerome Leahey (80), Marie Rhoades Cariety, Gary McCans, Sharre Grubbs and Kristy Meadows Louk.
• May 7 to Larry Baker, Carol Close, Cameron Twaits, Debbie Grillot, Holly Best, Annette Billenstein and Diane Borgerdine Hill.
• May 8 to Hayley Maher, Kevin Sanders, Matt Cooley, Eli Hathaway, Macy Kress and Tammy Cline.
• May 9 to Faye Rismiller Harman, Tammy Henderson Gretzinger, Joan Huff, Nathan Burnfield, Betty Via Gaerke, Don Waymire, Darby Gilland (9), Megan Mader Cromes and Mike Besecker.
• May 10 to Clarence Kammer, Heath Riffell, Tod Fink, Virgil Rismiller, Carol Haworth, Jamie Hunt, Butch Clark, Doug Shepherd and Kay Hartzell.
Happy anniversary to Dan and Brenda Norton, and Rick and Mary Elliott, all on May 6; and Jo and Chuck Langenkamp on May 8.
Happy belated anniversary to Roger and Cindy Wolfe (15 years) on April 12; and Slug and Pam Widener on April 25.
Don’t forget to pray for: Stacy Dorko, Dick Michael, Shannon Peters Hall, Tom Hawkins, Phyllis Gibbons, Rosemary Wetzel, Greg Whittington, George Fanning, Kenny Borger, Deanna Jones, Ray Francis, Mary Marshall, Jenson Fullerton, Judy York, Treva Hamilton, Sue Miller, Gary Reier, Carmen Sanders, Michael Allen Clark, Elmer Long, Anthony Joyner, Shirley Mead, Dave Sloan, Harry Moody, Jim Moody, Maxine Weimer, Linda Subler, Jerrod Pratt, Tim Ridenour, Shelly Hoffman, Keith Howard, Betty Grimes, Kathy Magoto, Dean Brewer, Lisa Hall, Dick Neff, Tammy Shapiro, Ken Martin, David Magoto, Phil Clark, Sonny Hunt, Jim Marker, Terry Longfellow, Don and Nina McDaniel, D’Arleen Waymire, Lee and Bea Moody (our parents), Linda Johnston, Ron Kreitzer, Pappy Harshman, Rick Jones, Delores Duncan, Frank Shapiro, John Klipstine, Elsie Svajda, Dave Sherman, Sue Chitty, Phil Chilcoat, Christine Pipenger, Paul Barton, Terry Ungericht, Gracyn Blackburn, Lowell Arnold, Robert Codling, Kohen Thwaits, William DeBord, Dave Starline, Bob Hiestand Jr.
Also, Kathy and Tom Hamilton, Joanne Sharp, Ivan Miller, Cindy Elson, Cary Van De Grift, Dina Dancer Morris, Teresa Mayo Amspaugh, Jim Crotcher, Tina Kiser Deaton, Alvera Schmitz, Tonia Thompson, Fred Monnin, Stephen “Brownie” Brown, Nate Epperson, Brad Pipenger, Faye Schlecty, Sheila Reed, Bill Beasley, Steve Cunningham, Kody Ketring, Bob and Sandy Finkbine, Kevin Dickey, Joe Martin, Tracy Bailey, Brenda Grimes, Margaret “Peg” Bundy, Kevin Hemmerich, Penny Starns, Tim Heck, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Addie Henderson, Barb Morrow Zimmerman, Samantha Smith, Todd Walls, Ron Kramer, Melissa “Missy” Helmer, Dana Holzapfel, Kara Didier, Carla Welch, Bill Schuette and to all those others who suffer from the many debilitating diseases.
And, God bless all of our military people serving and protecting this nation, as well as rescue, fire and law enforcement personnel who put their lives on the line to protect us.
Jamie and I send our condolences to the families of Marilyn Eley, David Allread and Bruce Ritz.
Think about it: “Count your age by the number of memories, not by the number of years.” — Unknown
Linda Moody is a staff writer for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Sunday. She can be reached at email@example.com.