I know I wrote about it once this year, but when is all this road and bridge work going to stop? It seems like I can’t go anywhere in the county where there aren’t orange cones or barrels, not to mention detour signs or one-lane traffic signs, somewhere.
Yes, it’s all going to look nice by winter time, but motorists are surely getting tired of rerouting to get to their destinations.
No matter what assignment I’m on or what section of the county I’m in, there is some sort of construction or reconstruction happening. My poor vehicle is putting on the miles and using up a lot of gas when I’m put there on the road.
Hopefully, sometime soon East Canal (or State Route 47) in Ansonia will be finished and open up permanently to travelers. I’m sure the school will be happy when that takes place as well.
I probably should be happy for all of these improvement projects and glad there was money for them to get completed, but I don’t want to admit that. I know Rome wasn’t built in a day, so we must have patience.
Whoever said “You can’t get there from here” must have been talking about these kind of issues when that statement was made. Sometimes, I wondered if I was ever going to get to my destination this summer…but it happened.
Besides, I probably saw more sites than I would have ordinarily seen by taking those detours.
• The Treaty City Senior Dances will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. at the VFW Post on North Ohio Street in Greenville. There will be food to purchase, soft drinks only, door prizes and a 50/50 drawing. Deejay Tom Everhart will provide the music.
• The last all-you-can-eat breakfast of the year will be served on Oct. 1 from 7 to 11 a.m. at the Ansonia American Legion. Other upcoming Legion events are wing nite from 6 to 9 p.m. Oct. with card from 5 p.m. to closing time and the last all-you-can-eat fish fry for the season on Oct. 7 from 4 to 6:30 p.m.
Happy birthday to:
• Sept. 29 to Nathan Riffell (40), Shirley McEldowney Billenstein, Patty Christian Bunger, Carol O’Connor, JW Hartzell, LuAnn Dickey Baker, Danny Beam, Michael Waymire (40), Ivan Christian, Jerry Loyd and Courtney Boroff.
• Sept. 30 to Bill Thomas, Jean Rae Riffell, Mary Ann Gump, Lila Pinney, Betty Teegarden, Tammy Curtis and Jason Young.
• Oct. 1 to Dolores Bowman, John Clack, Katie Baker-Cothran, Thomas Shaw, Casey Marker, Johnny Ray Riffell, Sharon Mayo, Georgianna Schafer Crawford, Bob Robinson, Gloria Saintignon, Carlton Conner, Marilyn Lutz, Tom Hollinger, Jason Dirksen, Casey Marker and Jackie Howell.
• Oct. 2 to Jim Moody (81), Jerry Batten Jr., Dennis Buttts, Dixie Ray, Elizabeth Heitkamp, Sam Androne, Ronnie Richards, Dani Gibbs (8), Mark Wolfe and Jene Riffell.
• Oct. 3 to Rileigh Norton (13), Sharon Fourman, Kim Cromwell, Shirley Riffell Morrow, Linda Cobb Rosengarten, Cheryl Hammontree Fraley, Derek Ketring, Karen Duncan, Ron Turner, Debra Winterowd and Jolie Mincer-Mangen.
• Oct. 4 to Amy Grogean, Lucinda Ledbetter, Laura Jones, Alyson Waymire, Jill Riegle Gelhaus and Daniel Fitzgerald.
• Oct. 5 to Tony Schultz, Jamie Spencer, Tim Bang, Josh Spradling, Kaylyn Bailey, Mike Rammel and Larry Reed.
Happy anniversary to Joe and Angie Widener and Mike and Mary Dohme, all on Oct. 1; and Ivan and Patricia Steinke and Jay and Deidre Stammen, all on Oct. 4.
Don’t forget to pray for: Steve Schafer, Connie Apple, Kohen Thwaits, Keith Starks, Dave Leeper, Dawn Oldiges, Judy York, Lowell Elsass, Linda Johnston, Stacy Dorko, Dick Michael, Tracy Bailey, Jack Riegle, Bruce Knick, Aiden Turner, Brody Wilson, Terri Martin, Marie Rieman, Carol Bollheimer, Roger McEowen, Tim King, Gary Poor, Clinton Linebaugh, Layna Best, Jean Eastridge, Justin Ungericht, Alishia Clark Funk, Glenna Curry, Shannon Peters Hall, Tom Hawkins, Mike Bale, Phyllis Gibbons, Rosemary Wetzel, Angie Young Noggler, Kenny Borger, Mary Marshall, Jenson Fullerton, Judy York, Sue Miller, Gary Reier, Carmen Sanders, Michael Allen Clark, Elmer Long, Anthony Joyner, Shirley Mead, Harry Moody, Jim Moody, Linda Subler, Jerrod Pratt, Shelly Hoffman, Betty Grimes, Kathy Magoto, Dean Brewer, Lisa Hall, Tammy Shapiro, Ken Martin, David Magoto, Phil Clark, Sonny Hunt, Don and Nina McDaniel, D’Arleen Waymire, Pappy Harshman, Delores Duncan, John Klipstine, Elsie Svajda, Dave Sherman, Sue Chitty, Phil Chilcoat, Christine Pipenger, Paul Barton, Terry Ungericht, Gracyn Blackburn, Robert Codling, Dave Starline, Bob Hiestand Jr.
Also, Kathy and Tom Hamilton, Joanne Sharp, Ivan Miller, Cindy Elson, Cary Van De Grift, Dina Dancer Morris, Teresa Mayo Amspaugh, Tina Kiser Deaton, Tonia Thompson, Fred Monnin, Stephen “Brownie” Brown, Nate Epperson, Brad Pipenger, Faye Schlecty, Sheila Reed, Bill Beasley, Steve Cunningham, Kody Ketring, Bob and Sandy Finkbine, Kevin Dickey, Joe Martin, Brenda Grimes, Margaret “Peg” Bundy, Kevin Hemmerich, Penny Starns, Tim Heck, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Addie Henderson, Barb Morrow Zimmerman, Samantha Smith, Todd Walls, Ron Kramer, Dana Holzapfel, Kara Didier, Carla Welch, Bill Schuette and to all those others who suffer from the many debilitating diseases.
And, God bless all of our military people serving and protecting this nation, as well as rescue, fire and law enforcement personnel who put their lives on the line to protect us.
Son Jamie and I extend our condolences to the family of: Joel Bruss.
Think about it: “Live in such a way that those who know you but don’t know God will come to know God because they know you.” — quote found in Guideposts magazine.
Linda Moody is a staff writer for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Saturday. She can be reached at email@example.com.