What a wonderful job I have! Events like the retirement party for Larry Brown and his sister, Arlene Brown Keiser, at the Sweet Shop in Versailles last Sunday was somewhat nostalgic…not only for the honorees but for me as well.
I saw a lot of people I knew…some from today and others from yesteryear. I even saw a one-time co-worker, Karen [don’t know her last name now] from Columbus; people from our roller skating days in Versailles; and lots of people I’ve previously met at various functions and interviewed for other articles. Some Ansonia residents were also there to bid the couple adieu in their retirement.
I want to wish Larry and Arlene the best of luck in their future. They can be proud of the business, which has been in Versailles, for many years. And, I salute the new owners, who have plans to carry on the business for many years with their family, too. New owners are Rod and Julie Boring and Steve and Greta Bergman. Julie is Greta’s aunt.
I hear they and their employees have an energetic attitude, and Larry and Arlene are fine with that.
Good luck to all!
I’m now officially on my last vacation of the year, with plans to get my house ready for the winter and to just relax and spend time with special friends. Not going anywhere in particular, just hanging out.
See you Oct. 31. Hopefully, I can regroup and have a clear mind to keep on keepin’ on.
• The Treaty City Senior Dances will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. Mondays, except for the first Mondays of the month, at the VFW Post on North Ohio Street in Greenville.
• Upcoming Ansonia American Legion events are a Halloween party (wear a costume) featuring Whiskey Business on Sunday, as well as gatherings for the Ohio State games.
Happy birthday to:
• Oct. 27 to Rusty Maloy, Dianna Bang, Evelyn Loy, Benjamin Barnt, Tammy Arnett, Dawson Roberts (18), Starla Rinderle, Ethan Atkinson, Amy Mills Moore, Tim Robertson, Ed Curry and Stacey Spahr.
• Oct. 28 to Bill Gunckle, Rita Fourman Barger, Tom Donnelly, Carol Henderson Baughman, Roberta Westfall, David Bonfiglio, Linda Young, Cody Hittle, Jackie Macias and Brittany Widener.
• Oct. 29 to Judy Marshal, Roger Fourman, Deb Ward and Shirley Price.
• Oct. 30 to Kenny Young III, Bob Wagner, Graham Luce, Dale Hunt, Ken Liette and Mike Grim.
• Oct. 31 to Gary Knick, Carol Hemmerich, twins SharonWright and Karen Shellhaas, Christina Hahn Riffell, Don Everman, Martha Oliver and Wayne Farmer.
• Nov. 1 to Cindy Brown Moody, Janet Leis, Bud House, Jeff Rayborn, Jim Magoto, Kelly Brown, Royer Turner, Tom Blakeley (60), Jean Buxton, Jim Henby, Dalton Subler and Julia Frye.
Happy anniversary to Bob and Rita Ahlers on Oct. 28; Tim and Donna Wagner on Oct. 31; and Rodney and Erica Buckingham Hiestand on Nov. 1.
Happy belated anniversary to Tom and Phyllis Gibbons and Shane and Angela Coby, all on Oct. 19.
Don’t forget to pray for: Tom Brumbaugh Jr., Steve Schafer, Tom Hawkins, Roxanne Reichard-Grant, Chris Young, Greg Moody, Robin Grice, Connie Apple, Jodie Glick, Ron Kreitzer, Kohen Thwaits, Jerrod Pratt, Keith Starks, Scott and Judy Stahl, Dawn Oldiges, Judy York, Lowell Elsass, Linda Johnston, Stacy Dorko, Tracy Bailey, Shannon Peters Hall, Jack Riegle, Bruce Knick, Aiden Turner, Brody Wilson, Terri Martin, Marie Rieman, Carol Bollheimer, Roger McEowen, Lara Brunner, Al Bliss, Tim King, Gary Poor, Clinton Linebaugh, Layna Best, Jean Eastridge, Justin Ungericht, Alishia Clark Funk, Glenna Curry, Mike Bale, Phyllis Gibbons, Rosemary Wetzel, Angie Young Noggler, Kenny Borger, Mary Marshall, Jenson Fullerton, Gary Reier, Carmen Sanders, Michael Allen Clark, Elmer Long, Anthony Joyner, Shirley Mead, Harry Moody, Jim Moody, Linda Subler, Shelly Hoffman, Betty Grimes, Kathy Magoto, Dean Brewer, Lisa Hall, Tammy Shapiro, Ken Martin, David Magoto, Phil Clark, Sonny Hunt, Don and Nina McDaniel, D’Arleen Waymire, Pappy Harshman, Delores Duncan, John Klipstine, Elsie Svajda, Dave Sherman, Sue Chitty, Phil Chilcoat, Christine Pipenger, Paul Barton, Terry Ungericht, Gracyn Blackburn, Robert Codling, Dave Starline, Bob Hiestand Jr.
Also, Kathy and Tom Hamilton, Joanne Sharp, Ivan Miller, Cindy Elson, Cary Van De Grift, Dina Dancer Morris, Teresa Mayo Amspaugh, Tina Kiser Deaton, Tonia Thompson, Fred Monnin, Stephen “Brownie” Brown, Nate Epperson, Brad Pipenger, Faye Schlecty, Sheila Reed, Bill Beasley, Steve Cunningham, Kody Ketring, Bob and Sandy Finkbine, Kevin Dickey, Joe Martin, Brenda Grimes, Margaret “Peg” Bundy, Kevin Hemmerich, Penny Starns, Tim Heck, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Addie Henderson, Barb Morrow Zimmerman, Samantha Smith, Todd Walls, Ron Kramer, Dana Holzapfel, Kara Didier, Carla Welch, Bill Schuette and to all those others who suffer from the many debilitating diseases.
And, God bless all of our military people serving and protecting this nation, as well as rescue, fire and law enforcement personnel who put their lives on the line to protect us.
Son Jamie and I extend our condolences to the families of: Lester Linebaugh, Gene Stewart, Norma Million, Agnes Pohlman, Waldo Royer and Joe Brandt.
Think about it: “A small smile or a wide grin is a very lonely thing unless it is shared with another.” — Unknown
Linda Moody is a staff writer for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Saturday. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.