Vint’s Family Restaurant and I have something in common. Just read the sign at their location at 1226 Sweitzer St. in Greenville “Serving Greenville since 1967,” it reads.
You can say I, too, have been serving [working] since 1967 at the same place [The Daily Advocate, of course]. And, I think it would be safe to add Darke County, in addition to Greenville, to both of those statements.
People from all across the county patronize both businesses daily. Most every time I go to the restaurant, I recognize people from various areas of Darke County.
Owner John Riegle said he began working at the restaurant in 1969, two years after it opened and, he and his wife subsequently decided to purchase it. Vincent Buschur apparently was the first owner of Vint’s, with his son, Bill, eventually taking over.
The restaurant had been called “Flint’s,” and the painter reportedly made the decision to add a big “V” to change its name when Buschur took over. It was quite fitting, don’t you think with the similarity in the names?
Every time I drive by there, I check to make sure the sign is still up. It brings back memories of their good food and makes me realize that both of us are hastily making it to 50 years “in the business(es)” when it just seems like it was only yesterday that we were young and care-free.
I hope my readers like me as much as they [and I] enjoy Vint’s chicken dinners and other menu items.
Come on 2017!
• The Treaty City Senior Dance will NOT be held Monday at the VFW Post on North Ohio Street in Greenville from 1 to 4 p.m. There will be dances, however, on Dec. 12 and 19. There is no dance set for Jan. 2, but they will resume on Jan. 9.
• Breakfast With Santa will be today at the Ansonia American Legion from 9-11 a.m. Santa will arrive at 9:30 a.m. Doors open at 8:30 a.m. Breakfast will consist of pancakes, sausage, eggs, juice or coffee. Entertainment will be provided by Linda Leeper. This event is free and open to the public; donations are greatly accepted.
Happy birthday to:
• Dec. 7 to Amy Johns, Judy Collins, Roger Riffell, Zach Mann, Otis Mead, Bernadette Siekman, Sharon Warren and Jailyn Thwaits (18).
• Dec. 8 to Patty Riegle, Nick McEowen and Abbie Worthen.
• Dec. 9 to Andy Couchot, Georgia Young, Jody Christman, Jackie Kimmel, Daryl Locke, Tara Thomas and Lois Wilson.
• Dec. 10 to Ginger Siders, Tony Steed, Deb Jones, Kiersten Schricker and Marlene McClurg.
• Dec. 11 to Kenny Flatter, Tim Gibboney, Steve Gates, Katie Britsch Smith, Susan Hartrum, Ashlee Hetzler and Annette Livingston.
• Dec. 12 to Tara Wilcutt Gardner, Kari Bartram, Liz Hufford, Brooklyn Kaffenberger, Jim Kammer, Ron Hines, David Harbison, Allen Aukerman, Randy Sanders, Jim Goubeaux, Virginia Rinderle, Vivian Dapore and Randy Neal.
• Dec. 13 to Dave Acton, Paul Wood, Bill Byrd, Jorden Price Hart, Aaron Byrd (40), Daryl Riffle, Ralph Helmer Jr., and twins Demi and Dani Hathaway.
Happy belated birthday to: Dave Brewer on Nov. 30.
Happy anniversary to Tina and Ron Lyme (50) on Dec. 10.
Happy belated anniversary to Don and Carolyn Waymire (48) on Nov. 30;
Don’t forget to pray for: Tom Brumbaugh Jr., Cheri Antrobus Davis, Rosemary Goodpaster Wetzel, Pastor Don Brode, Bill Collins, Scott Clark, Steve Schafer, Tom Hawkins, Chris Young, Greg Moody, Robin Grice, Connie Apple, Jodie Glick, Ron Kreitzer, Kohen Thwaits, Jerrod Pratt, Keith Starks, Scott and Judy Stahl, Dawn Oldiges, Judy York, Lowell Elsass, Linda Johnston, Stacy Dorko, Tracy Bailey, Shannon Peters Hall, Jack Riegle, Bruce Knick, Aiden Turner, Brody Wilson, Terri Martin, Marie Rieman, Carol Bollheimer, Roger McEowen, Lara Brunner, Al Bliss, Tim King, Gary Poor, Clinton Linebaugh, Layna Best, Jean Eastridge, Justin Ungericht, Alishia Clark Funk, Glenna Curry, Mike Bale, Phyllis Gibbons, Rosemary Wetzel, Angie Young Noggler, Kenny Borger, Mary Marshall, Jenson Fullerton, Gary Reier, Carmen Sanders, Michael Allen Clark, Elmer Long, Anthony Joyner, Shirley Mead, Harry Moody, Jim Moody, Shelly Hoffman, Betty Grimes, Kathy Magoto, Dean Brewer,
Also, Lisa Hall, Tammy Shapiro, Ken Martin, David Magoto, Phil Clark, Sonny Hunt, Don and Nina McDaniel, D’Arleen Waymire, Pappy Harshman, Delores Duncan, John Klipstine, Elsie Svajda, Dave Sherman, Sue Chitty, Phil Chilcoat, Christine Pipenger, Paul Barton, Terry Ungericht, Gracyn Blackburn, Robert Codling, Dave Starline, Bob Hiestand Jr., Kathy and Tom Hamilton, Joanne Sharp, Ivan Miller, Cindy Elson, Cary Van De Grift, Dina Dancer Morris, Teresa Mayo Amspaugh, Tina Kiser Deaton, Tonia Thompson, Fred Monnin, Stephen “Brownie” Brown, Nate Epperson, Brad Pipenger, Faye Schlecty, Sheila Reed, Bill Beasley, Steve Cunningham, Kody Ketring, Bob and Sandy Finkbine, Kevin Dickey, Brenda Grimes, Margaret “Peg” Bundy, Kevin Hemmerich, Penny Starns, Tim Heck, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Addie Henderson, Samantha Smith, Todd Walls, Ron Kramer, Dana Holzapfel, Kara Didier, Carla Welch and Bill Schuette.
And, pray for all those others who suffer from the many debilitating diseases, and may God bless all of our military people serving and protecting this nation, as well as rescue, fire and law enforcement personnel who put their lives on the line to protect us.
Jamie and I sincerely extend our condolences to the families of: Ron O’Dell, Jon Agne, Lea Huntwork, Joe Martin, Charles Adams, Erma Stump, Patricia Nichols, Gerald Lucas and Ann Hollingsworth.
Think about it: “There is so much good in the worst of us and so much bad in the best of us that it hardly behooves any of us to talk about the rest of us.” — Unknown
Linda Moody is a staff writer for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Saturday. She can be reached at email@example.com.