It was a great pleasure for me to attend the mock crash at Mississinawa Valley recently.
It just had to make an impact on students because it was so educational in such a way that you would think none of them would even think of making destructive decisions at prom time or at any other event in their life.
The mock crash was almost believable, which was the intent, with fire and rescue, Oliver-Floyd Funeral Home, parents of the affected students and a representative of the coroner’s office all in attendance.
And, seventh-grade students Josie Deaton’s words at the closing had to make an impact on students as well. She knows the consequences of someone making destructive decisions. Her older sister, Christin, died in the first traffic fatality in Darke County in January 2014 as a passenger in a vehicle driven by her boyfriend, who was allegedly chemically impaired. And, I’ve also heard she has been invited to Franklin Monroe School to make that presentation this year. Congratulations, Josie.
Thanks to all of the SADD groups for presenting the mock crashes in all of the schools in Darke County.
Hope these messages were heard loud and clear.
• There will be a Treaty City Seniors dance Monday at the VFW Post on North Ohio Street in Greenville.
• A benefit for Irma Stewart’s lung transplant will be held May 6 at the Union City American Legion, 409 W. Pearl St., Union City, Indiana. The benefit will start at 11 a.m. with a bake sale, then there will be a golf cart/motorcycle poker run at 12:30 p.m. A euchre tournament will start at 2 p.m. and there will be food and fun to be had. Entertainment will be provided by Rockin’ with Rocky from 6:30 to 10:30 p.m. All donations and proceeds will go to Irma in her time of need.
Happy birthday to:
• May 2 to Cody Spencer, Ruth Peters, Shawn McGuire and Marge Morse.
• May 3 to Larry Duncan, Carole Schafer and Karen Waymire Link.
• May 4 Charles Broering, Maxine Waymire, Ashley Moody Gilpin, Jeremy Meade, Kelly Powell, Brian Hartzell, Brittany Reed, Shelly Haber and Krista Goodwin Waymire.
• May 5 to Cindy Warner Pike, Kelly Moody (45), Anita Bingham Best, Herb Nieport, Trista Smith, Tina Chalmers, Tom Beane, Pat Williams, Tammy Moody Thobe, Jeff Slyder, Gene Maher, Ron Bailey and Carolyn Clack Ganger.
• May 6 to Siblings Ron, Bev and me, Steve Clevenger, Denny Parsons, Margaret Hile Muhlenkamp, Robin Doyle Spencer, Dean Herd, Boo Herron, Sherry Heck Klingshirn, Leah Hiestand, Denny Neargardner, Phil Rismiller, Dr. Jerome Leahey, Marie Rhoades Carity, Gary McCans, Sharre Grubb and Kristy Meadows Louk.
• May 7 to Carol Close, Larry Baker, Cameron Thwaits, Debbie Grillot, Holly Best, Diane Borgerding Hill and Annette Billenstein.
• May 8 to Hayley Maher, Kevin Sanders, Matt Colley, Eli Hathaway, Jeanie Whittaker Unger and Tammy Cline.
Happy anniversary to: Roger and lesley Fourman (25) on May 2; Dan and Brenda Norton and Rick and Mary Elliott, all on May 6; and Jo and Chuck Langenkamp on May 8.
Don’t forget to pray for: Tom Brumbaugh Jr., Mason Osterloh, Marilyn Peterson, Carl Francis, Harry Moody, Gary Foureman, Kent Clark, Kyndal Wynk, Ron Kreitzer, Vickie Martin, Betty Kremer, Jeff Stump, Stacy Dorko, Charlotte Metzcar, Vicki Wilker Gibson, Evan Boggs, Rhonda Rodeheffer Rismiller, Janet Bolin, Shirley Miller, Roger Flory, Albert Duncan, Jack Good, Bill Duncan, Keith Starks, Darla Bowman Miller, Cheri Antrobus Davis, Scott Clark, Steve Schafer, Tom Hawkins, Greg Moody, Connie Apple, Jodie Glick, Kohen Thwaits, Jerrod Pratt, Dawn Oldiges, Judy York, Lowell Elsass, Linda Johnston, Tracy Bailey, Shannon Peters Hall, Jack Riegle, Bruce Knick, Aiden Turner, Brody Wilson, Carol Bollheimer, Roger McEowen, Al Bliss, Tim King, Gary Poor, Layna Best, Jean Eastridge, Alishia Clark Funk, Glenna Curry, Mike Bale, Phyllis Gibbons, Carmen Sanders, Michael Allen Clark, Elmer Long, Shirley Mead, Kathy Magoto,
Also, Wanda and Joe Bailey, Shelly Hoffman, Lisa Hall, Tammy Shapiro, David Magoto, Phil Clark, Sonny Hunt, Don and Nina McDaniel, D’Arleen Waymire, Pappy Harshman, Delores Duncan Bridges, John Klipstine, Elsie Svajda, Sue Chitty, Phil Chilcoat, Christine Pipenger, Paul Barton, Terry Ungericht, Gracyn Blackburn, Dave Starline, Bob Hiestand Jr., Kathy and Tom Hamilton, Joanne Sharp, Ivan Miller, Cindy Elson, Cary Van De Grift, Teresa Mayo Amspaugh, Tina Kiser Deaton, Tonia Thompson, Fred Monnin, Faye Schlecty, Sheila Reed, Bill Beasley, Kody Ketring, Bob and Sandy Finkbine, Kevin Dickey, Margaret “Peg” Bundy, Kevin Hemmerich, Penny Starns, Tim Heck, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Addie Henderson, Samantha Smith, Todd Walls, Ron Kramer, Dana Holzapfel, Kara Didier, Carla Welch and Bill Schuette.
And, pray for all those others who suffer from the many debilitating diseases, and may God bless all of our military people serving and protecting this nation, as well as rescue, fire and law enforcement personnel who put their lives on the line to protect us.
Jamie and I send our condolences out to the families of: Glenn Hufford, Marilyn Hubler and Leatrice Klosterman.
Think about it: “The most expensive thing in the world is trust. It can take years to earn and just a matter of seconds to lose.” Unknown
Linda Moody is a staff writer for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Saturday. She can be reached at email@example.com.