I just can’t believe all of the people I have known who died in recent weeks. Yes, I know this happens, and I know this occurs sometimes in spurts, but there has been such a deluge lately.
Our cousin, Kenny Dunevant, was among them, as was a former co-worker and photographer at The Daily Advocate, John Wehr. Then comes some of the friends I made over the years, either through interviews for newspaper stories, church, the Great Darke County Fair or through family and friends.
They include Marg Miller, Betty Mikesell-McCullough, Betty Beard, Shirley Byram, Mary Jean (Gasper) Martin, Debbie Edwards, Marty Cain and Baby Raven Burchfield.
This week, Jamie and I express our condolences to the families of Duane Saintignon, Mel Grile, Catherine Studabaker, John Kelch and Marjorie Lyme.
All we can do is hope that list subsides. Until then, we will hold on to those memories and cherish the times we had with them during their days on earth.
I know their families are missing them.
• Upcoming events at the Ansonia American Legion: Veterans Day free bean supper on Wednesday, starting at 5 p.m.; and steak fry from 5 to 8 p.m. both Nov. 14 and Dec. 12. Raffle tickets for the Veteran’s Day bean supper at the Ansonia are still available.
• Any veteran in the area is welcome to participate in the Veteran’s Day Parade in Greenville on Wednesday. Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Chapter 57 Commander Robert Foster said the participants will be leaving Greenville Public Library a little before 11 and march to the courthouse on South Broadway, stopping in front of the clock. Other features of the event will be a prayer, introductions, a 21-gun salute at 11:11 a.m., presentation of a wreath, and the playing of the National Anthem by the high school band. The combined color guard of the DAV, Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion will also be in attendance.
• The Leyden Guenther Benefit will be held Dec. 4 from 4 p.m. to midnight at the old American Legion behind 318 Pearl St.in Union City, Indiana. The all-ages event and dinner will take place from 4 to 7 p.m. Pre-sale dinner tickets are available until Nov. 13 at a cost of $10 for couples, $6 for individuals, $3 for children 6 to 12 years of age and free for those 5 and under. The meal will be a pulled pork dinner with choice of green beans or baked beans, coleslaw, roll and non-alcoholic beverage. A deejay will be performing from 8 to 11:30 p.m. for the adult crowd. There will also be raffle baskets and auctions as well as a t-shirt sale at $10 each.
• Nov. 12 to Maxine Alexander Hamilton, Krista Klipstine Spence, Shannon Young, Paul Smith, Bob Leeper, Bob Henderson, Marci Roll and Dorothy Waymire Bubeck.
• Nov. 13 to Gwen Hurd, Jill Beam, Michael M. Lyme, Janie Goines, Lesley Smith Fourman, Richie Black Jr., Adam Kunk (35) and Beth Cline Turner.
• Nov. 14 to Berley Branham, Jeannette Unrast, Cordell Hunt, Nikki Klingshirn Hiestand, Davey Fitzgerald (25), Al Bliss, Mary Ann Esser,
• Nov. 15 to Ryan Carpe, Karen VanScoyk Gibboney, Marabeth Null, Randy Mayo, Donna Hoschouer, Chuck Minnich, Doug Lyme, Gary Brown, Jeremy Pepper, Ryan Bayman (18), Elaine McMahan, Chasity Rinderle.
• Nov. 16 to Caron Stoltz, twins Rowena Stump and Scott Sheffer, Chelsea Thwaits and Carole Harless.
• Nov. 17 to Don Moyers, Goethe Rodeheffer, Patty Rodeheffer, Steve Huntwork, Jerry Neal, Shirley Marker, Shawna Meadows, twins Jacob and Caleb Custer, Denny Barga, Grace Widener and Steve Mills.
• Nov. 18 to Kara Patt, Mendi Burns, Debra Pohl, Greg Whittington and Mona Stachler.
Happy anniversary to: Myron and Marilyn Stammen on Nov. 13; Rick and Kathy Beam on Nov. 14; and Jeanette Beanblossom (58) on Nov. 18.
Don’t forget to pray for: Stacy Dorko, Phil Clark, Sonny Hunt, Jim Marker, Terry Longfellow, Bill Drew, Don and Linda Myers, Nina McDaniel, Rick Moody, John Clack, Rusty Wilson, Lee Moody (our father), Linda Johnston, Ron Kreitzer, Pappy Harshman, Gerald Rhoades, Harold Rismiller, Rick Jones, Albert Duncan, Delores Duncan, Ansonia Police Chief Frank Shapiro, Randy Heck, John Klipstine, Greg Moody, Elsie Svajda, Dave Sherman, Sue Chitty, Phil Chilcoat, Christine Pipenger, Paul Barton, Terry Ungericht, Gracyn Blackburn, Jim Moody, Lowell Arnold, Joe and Wanda Bailey, Mel Grile, Robert Codling, Kohen Thwaits, J.C. and D’Arleen Waymire, Deanna Jones, William DeBord, Dave Starline, Bob Hiestand Jr., Kathy and Tom Hamilton, Joanne Sharp, Larry Bemis, Ivan Miller, Cindy Elson, Cary Van De Grift, Dina Dancer Morris, Teresa Mayo Amspaugh, Jim Crotcher, Tina Kiser Deaton, Alvera Schmitz, Jerrod Pratt, Vicky Henderson, Julia Frey, Tonia Thompson, Fred Monnin, Thelma Shade, Bob Coppock, Stephen “Brownie” Brown.
Also, Nate Epperson, Brad Pipenger, Faye Schlecty, Michelle Sparks Reed, Bill Beasley, Steve Cunningham, Kody Ketring, Bob and Sandy Finkbine, Kevin Dickey, Joe Martin, Tracy Bailey, Brenda Grimes, Margaret “Peg” Bundy, Kevin Hemmerich, Ray Dickey Jr., Penny Starns, Tim Heck, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Suzy Heck Schilling, Addie Henderson, Barb Morrow Zimmerman, Samantha Smith, Shannon Peters Hall, Todd Walls, Ron Kramer, Melissa “Missy” Helmer, Susie Gress of Nebraska, Dana Holzapfel, Kara Didier, Carla Welch, Bill Schuette and to all those others who suffer from the many debilitating diseases. And, God bless all of our military people serving and protecting this nation.
Think about it: “Look for something positive in each day, even if some days you have to look a little harder.” – Unknown
Linda Moody is a staff writer for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Sunday. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.