UNION CITY, Ohio — The Mississinawa Valley Local Board of Education approved a one-year contract with Superintendent Jim Atchley in a shared contract with Ansonia Local School District for the 2015-16 school year.
The following co-curricular contracts for the 2015-16 school year were approved, as follows: Adam Harris, Grade 7 boys’ basketball coach, and Sandy Denniston, high school boys’ basketball site manager and high school girls’ basketball site manager.
Ashley Austerman was approved as the art teacher and Jennifer Lause as the MH teacher, with each receiving one-year certified contracts.
The board approved Robert Wenger for a one-year bus aide contract for the 2015-16 school year, and Gwen Bergman with a 30-day extended time FFA co-adviser contract for the 2015-2016 school year.
The board also accepted the resignations, with regret, for Bruce Davison, guidance counselor and athletic director, and Natalie Greene, pre-school teacher/director, effective June 30 today. The resignations of 2014-15 spring community coaches — Jeff Adams, Max Guillozet and Doug Howell — were also approved, as well as the student activity programs advisers’ resignations for the 2014-15 school year. There were 18 positions listed on the agenda.
The board went on to approve Susan Clark for Reading Recovery Training through i3 Ohio State University ,and Brad Spettel was approved to receive a $2,000 stipend for the months of July and August 2015.
In other matters, the board:
• Approved the General Service Resolution with MDECA for the 2015-16 school year.
• Okayed the Darke County ESC Pre-School/Special Ed resolution.
• Gave the nod to changes to the MV Elementary Student Handbook for the 2014-15 school year.
• Approved the 2014-15 school year staff attendance awards. There are approximately 15 classified staff members and 10 certified staff members who will be receiving the perfect attendance Awards. There are approximately 25 classified staff members and 30 certified staff members who will be receiving the personal attendance awards.
• Passed a resolution adopting a calamity day alternative make-up plan.
• Approved the Ohio Coalition for Equity & Adequacy of School Funding membership for the 2015-16 school year.
• Okayed a maternity leave request from Amanda Masters.
• Changed the date on the district calendar. There will now be a two-hour early dismissal on Oct. 1.
• Approved a maintenance and supply agreement with Perry proTech for upgrade of all copiers for the 2015-16 school year.
• Learned that the 2014-15 fourth nine weeks enrollment was 705.
• Recognized all individuals, groups, and organizations for their generous scholarship donations to MV’s 2015 graduates.
• Was informed the high school cheerleading camp with UCA will be held at MV School July 20-23.
• Learned that both gyms will be closed for floor resurfacing on July 1; that the estimates for windows for the Ag Building are in; carpet replacement estimates are coming in; and cracks were sealed in the parking lots.
• Recognized the fact that Tricia Seubert was named 2015 Darke County Teacher of the Year. This is the fourth time out of eight years MV has had a staff member receive the county award.
• Approved the recommended financial and/or bookkeeping procedures in order for the financial books to be closed properly, and Lois Spitzer was approved to complete the 2014-15 fiscal year-end OCBOA reports.
• Learned there was a $1,000 donation from the Union City BPOE #1534 for the MD classroom, and learned of Amerigas Propane Company’s donation of $727.47 for classroom materials contributed by community members turning in bills for the School Days Program.
• Went into executive session at 7:08 p.m. for the purpose of discussing personnel employment and compensation and returned at 7:30 p.m., after which the meeting was adjourned.