Arcanum reaches $2.25 million settlement


ARCANUM — Work continues on the masonry and roof at the Arcanum-Butler K-12 building.

According to Arcanum-Butler Superintendent John Stephens, the issues with the masonry defects goes back to 2011 (and possibly earlier) when extensive efflorescence was noted on the exterior masonry walls.

“It was determined at the time, as communicated to the district, that the efflorescence could be removed through cleaning or possibly through staining,” he said. “Initial attempts to clean the efflorescence did not result in an efflorescence-free building. An additional attempt was made to clean the block with another product, but after just a portion had been cleaned, the decision was made to halt the process because it was ineffective and in fact causing additional damage.”

The Arcanum-Butler Board of Education and Ohio School Facilities Commission (OSFC) made the decision to move forward with the only permanent fix, replacing the block. The district and OSFC engaged a contractor, AKA Construction, to perform the remedial work necessary to correct the efflorescence staining of the exterior masonry walls on the district’s K-12 building. Brick work began last June.

The remedial work consists of removing the CMU block and replacing the exterior masonry walls with brick. In February 2016, the district and the OSFC reached a resolution with the bonding company for the original contractor that installed exterior masonry walls, and other contractors and suppliers. The district and the OSFC will receive payment in the amount of $2,250,000 that will go towards reimbursement of the costs associated with the remedial masonry work. The cost to repair the masonry is $1,985,125 with an additional cost of $197,500 for the brick upgrade.

As for the roof of the school, the district will pay $315,000 towards its replacement, or 36 percent of the total cost, with OSFC paying the remaining 64 percent.

“Upon completion of the project, the district dealt with extensive leaks throughout the building. The district and OSFC reached the agreement with the original contractor who installed the standing seam metal roof to remove the existing room and replace it,” said Stephens.

The additional $315,000 pays for an additional vapor barrier and ice and water shield layer of protection considered above and beyond the original scope of work, but a layer of protection believed necessary by the district and OSFC.

The $315,000 was taken out of the district’s general operating funds, and placed into an 010 construction account.

The board says it continues to work towards the goal of “making sure that our building and grounds continue to be a source of pride for our community and function properly.”

Work on the roof of Arcanum-Butler’s K-12 building continues. The school’s outside masonry is also undergoing repair. on the roof of Arcanum-Butler’s K-12 building continues. The school’s outside masonry is also undergoing repair. Erik Martin | The Daily Advocate

By Erik Martin

[email protected]

The writer may be reached at 937-569-4314. Join the conversation and get updates on Facebook search Darke County Sports or Advocate 360. For more features online go to

No posts to display