Greenville football team loses its GWOC North opener to Vandalia-Butler


GREENVILLE – Vandalia-Butler and Greenville not only battled each other Friday evening but each team was combating the elements as well as the Aviators won a 14-6 hard-fought victory over the Green Wave at Harmon Field.

Greenville opened the game by going on a nine-play drive from its own 28-yard line. The possession ended in a punt but allowed the Wave to flip the field and force Butler to start at its 26.

The Greenville defense quickly forced a three and out by the Aviators, and the Green Wave offense was on the attack again.

Using the rushing and receiving skills of senior running back Logan Eldridge, the Wave moved into a first and goal situation at the 4-yard line. On second down quarterback Kyle Phillips’ pass was intercepted in the end zone and returned out to the 10-yard line.

The Green Wave defense once again held off the Butler offense, limiting the Aviators to just four plays before punting. On the punt senior Devin Hendrix briefly excited the crowd with a 50-plus-yard punt return that went for a touchdown, before it was called back due to a penalty.

The ensuing drive had Greenville finding the end zone for the only time on the evening. The Wave took eight plays to travel 64 yards, converting a third and 26 with a Phillips to Hendrix 35-yard touchdown pass. The point after was no good, making the score Greenville 6, Butler 0 with 9:56 remaining until halftime.

Both defenses held until the final Aviator possession of the half when Butler took the ball at its own 43. A 45-yard completion plus a face mask penalty gave the Aviators a first and goal at the Greenville 6-yard line. The Wave defenders once again rose to the occasion, holding Butler out of the end zone and only surrendered a 23-yard field goal to make the score 6-3 Greenville at the half.

Butler opened the second half with an eight-play drive that culminated with a 33-yard touchdown scamper by quarterback Mason Motter. The point after was good, giving the Aviators a 10-6 advantage with 7:57 left in the third period.

Greenville’s first second half possession ended in a rain aided bad snap fumble that was recovered by Vandalia-Butler at the Greenville 27. After allowing the Aviators a first and goal, the Wave defense stiffened again and forced a field goal attempt that was blocked.

Greenville took over at its 5-yard line but once again a bad snap resulted in the ball on the ground, which led to a Butler safety. The Aviator lead was now 12-6.

After the Greenville free kick Butler had the ball at the Greenville 39 and seemed poised for another score when Hendrix stepped in front of a pass and intercepted it for the Wave.

Greenville’s next drive also ended with a fumbled snap in the end zone that the Aviators were able to turn into another safety, increasing their lead to 14-6 and finishing the scoring for the game.

Butler advanced its record to 4-2 on the season. Greenville fell to 3-3 for the year. The Wave will travel to Piqua on Friday.

Greenville’s Logan Eldridge carries the ball during a Greater Western Ohio Conference football game against Vandalia-Butler on Friday in Greenville.’s Logan Eldridge carries the ball during a Greater Western Ohio Conference football game against Vandalia-Butler on Friday in Greenville. Jim Lewis|For The Daily Advocate

By Tim Alley

For The Daily Advocate

No posts to display