BRADFORD – A man escaped a fire in the middle of the night at the Stillwater Beach Campground that left two travel trailers destroyed.
At approximately 12:30 a.m. Monday, emergency personnel from Bradford Fire and Rescue along with mutual aid companies from Gettysburg Fire, Versailles Fire and Russia Fire departments were dispatched to Stillwater Beach Campground located at 8408 Versailles Southeastern Road outside of Bradford in regards to a fully involved trailer fire with multiple exposures. Arriving crews found heavy smoke and flames and reported that the fire had spread to at least one exposure.
According to authorities on the scene, the fire is thought to have originated from the refrigerator of a Fleetwood travel trailer located at lot A18 and quickly spread to a nearby Jayco travel trailer and its storage shed located at lot A9 directly behind it.
A full-time resident of the lot A18 trailer, identified only as Chris, said he woke to the sound of his smoke detector and noticed smoke over his head and flames shooting from the refrigerator.
“I was able to make it outside with my shoes and a pair of my friend’s sweatpants, but I lost everything else in the fire,” he said.
He went on to add he was renting the trailer while in the area for a construction job, originally being from Wyoming. Because of the loss of the trailer and all his belongings, the American Red Cross was contacted for assistance.
The trailer located at lot A9 was unoccupied at the time of the fire and was described as being a total loss as well.
The fire will remain under investigation by the Bradford Fire Department.