My mother, Beatrice (Riffell) Moody, lost a nephew, John Junior “Buddy” Riffell, this week. He died Wednesday morning at his residence and was laid to rest Saturday.
He is the 79-year-old son of my uncle, John, and wife Helen (Deal) Riffell, both deceased. He and his only brother, Donnie, who is also deceased, had married sisters; Buddy married Ruth Ann Covault and Donnie was married to Jean Rae Covault.
Buddy and Ruth Ann have two sons, Jeff (Denise) of St Mary’s and Dale (Angela) of Anna as well as six grandchildren, 10 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild. Buddy also leaves behind seven sisters, Virginia Pennington of Centerville, Donna Pauline (Nevin) Elleman and Sandy (Dean) Easterling, both of Troy, Shirley Morrow of Indiana, Barbara (Robert) Helm of Tipp City, Janet Sue (David) Bowers of Easley, South Carolina, and Annette (Greg) Miller of Piqua.
Buddy was retired from Sidney Manufacturing Co., and was past president and member of the Sidney Eagles #1403 for 43 years.
Even if I do say so myself, he was a good man. R.I.P., Buddy. You will be missed.
• A hymn sing will be held at Rose Hill Church at 4 p.m. today. The church is located on McFeeley-Petry Road, just west of State Route 49 in Rose Hill. Light refreshments will be served afterwards.
• The last of Ansonia American Legion’s regular all-you-can-eat fish fries this season is May 6. Steak fries at the Legion continue April 16 from 5 to 8 p.m.
• The Treaty City Seniors Dances will continue every Monday from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Eagles Lodge on East Third Street in Greenville. Tom Everhart will entertain with his rock and roll music of the past. There will be food to purchase, soft drinks only, door prizes and a 50/50 drawing.
• Those wanting to purchase pre-sale chicken dinner tickets for the Larry Badger Benefit on April 16 can do so at Bach To Rock on South Broadway in Greenville or by contacting Rhiannon Brubaker at 937-423-0864. Chicken dinners will be $10 at the event, and $8 pre-sale. And, those wanting to donate to the cause can do so by also making checks payable to Rhiannon Brubaker and send the monetary donation to her at 106 Sharp Lane, Greenville, OH 45331. The benefit, to be held at the VFW at 419 N. Ohio St., Greenville, will feature the chicken dinners, raffle and auction from 4 to 7 p.m. and live music from 8 to 11 p.m.
• April 12 to Carolyn Warver.
• April 14 to Mike Campbell, Nathan Cox, Stacy Lee Kies, Ann Lloyd and Holly Hill.
• April 15 to Allan Addington (70), Lori Denniston, Tammy Nieport Tollefson, Kary Tollefson, Hanna C. Rice, Kevin Osterloh (40), Earl Harden, Craig Bowman, Fred Dakin (51), Dianna Ashley Griffin, Andie Cox and Jill Moore.
• April 16 to Ken Schmitz, Annie Sonner, Tressa (Prasuhn) Emmins, Larry Grimes, Todd Gasper, classmate Pat Barga, Joe Grillot, Carla Hummel and Ken Mescher.
• April 17 to Joe VanVickle, Bob Christian, Mike Buckmaster, Kyle Schlechty, Amber Schoen (19) and Amy Hine.
• April 18 to Evelyn Pahl (80), Katrina Widener, Derek Schmitz, Jeanne Lyme, Delbert Fourman, Jerry Wilker, Dustin Wilker and Brian Harrod.
• April 19 to Connie Keller, Dan Whittington, Renee Whittington, Debbie Reel and Denise Lee.
• April 20 to Taylor Vorhees and Monica Gibbs Saintignon.
Happy belated birthday to Connie Imel on April 7.
Happy anniversary to Sharon and Randy Fourman and Tom and Annette Livingston, all on April 14; Kelly and Crissy Moody, Lori and Mark Kimmel and Bill and Jana Bruggeman, all on April 16; and Ron and Cindy Cox (30) on April 19.
Happy belated anniversary to Teresa and Rich Bowman on April 4.
Don’t forget to pray for: Stacy Dorko, Dick Michael, Greg Whittington, George Fanning, Kenny Borger, Betty Myers, Deanna Jones, Ray Francis, Mary Marshall, Jenson Fullerton, Treva Hamilton, Sue Miller, Gary Reier, Carmen Sanders, Michael Allen Clark, Elmer Long, Anthony Joyner, Shirley Mead, Dave Sloan, Harry Moody, Jim Moody, Maxine Weimer, Linda Subler, Jerrod Pratt, Tim Ridenour, Dan Norton, Shelly Hoffman, Keith Howard, Betty Grimes, Kathy Magoto, Dean Brewer, Lisa Hall, Dick Neff, Tammy Shapiro, Ken Martin, David Magoto, Charles LaFuze, Phil Clark, Sonny Hunt, Jim Marker, Terry Longfellow, Don and Nina McDaniel, D’Arleen Waymire, Lee and Bea Moody (our parents), Linda Johnston, Ron Kreitzer, Pappy Harshman, Rick Jones, Delores Duncan, Frank Shapiro, John Klipstine, Elsie Svajda, Dave Sherman, Sue Chitty, Phil Chilcoat, Christine Pipenger, Paul Barton, Terry Ungericht, Gracyn Blackburn, Lowell Arnold, Robert Codling, Kohen Thwaits, William DeBord, Dave Starline, Bob Hiestand Jr.
Also, Kathy and Tom Hamilton, Joanne Sharp, Ivan Miller, Cindy Elson, Cary Van De Grift, Dina Dancer Morris, Teresa Mayo Amspaugh, Jim Crotcher, Tina Kiser Deaton, Alvera Schmitz, Tonia Thompson, Fred Monnin, Bob Coppock, Stephen “Brownie” Brown, Nate Epperson, Brad Pipenger, Faye Schlecty, Sheila Reed, Bill Beasley, Steve Cunningham, Kody Ketring, Bob and Sandy Finkbine, Kevin Dickey, Joe Martin, Tracy Bailey, Brenda Grimes, Margaret “Peg” Bundy, Kevin Hemmerich, Penny Starns, Tim Heck, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Suzy Heck Schilling, Addie Henderson, Barb Morrow Zimmerman, Samantha Smith, Shannon Peters Hall, Todd Walls, Ron Kramer, Melissa “Missy” Helmer, Dana Holzapfel, Kara Didier, Carla Welch, Bill Schuette and to all those others who suffer from the many debilitating diseases.
And, God bless all of our military people serving and protecting this nation, as well as rescue, fire and law enforcement personnel who put their lives on the line to protect us.
Jamie and I send our condolences to the families of John “Buddy” Riffell and Linda Myers.
Think about it: “Even though there are days I wish I could change some things that happened in the past, there’s a reason the rear-view mirror is so small and the windshield is so big. Where you’re headed is much more important than what you’ve left behind.” — Unknown