Careflight transports child burned at bonfire


DARKE COUNTY — A child was transported by CareFlight after suffering burns at a bonfire Sunday.

At 10:48 p.m. Darke County deputies, along with Union City Fire, Union City Rescue and CareFlight were dispatched to 8278 Kniseley Road in reference to a child that had burn injuries.

Investigation by deputies revealed Noah Elleman, 20, of Greenville, was having a bonfire at his residence. While in the process of starting the fire, Joseph Martino, 20, of Greenville, began pouring gasoline on the fire. The fire quickly spread to the container that Martino was holding which caused Martino to turn and attempt to throw the container away.

As Martino turned around, he tripped over a two-year-old male child causing him to spill the gasoline onto the child. The gasoline quickly ignited on the child causing burns to the face and hands. Elleman was able to put the fire out before fire and medic crews arrived.

The child was transported to the Darke County Sheriff’s Office by Union City Rescue where they met CareFlight. CareFlight then transported the child to Dayton Children’s Hospital where he is listed in good condition.

This incident remains under investigation by the Darke County Sheriff’s Office.

Staff report

No posts to display