GREENVILLE — A second-alarm fire left a family home damaged Monday afternoon following what officials are calling “careless disposal of smoking materials.”
At approximately 1:43 p.m., emergency personnel from the Greenville City Fire Department and Greenville Township Fire and Rescue responded along with several mutual aid stations and officers from the Greenville Police Department to the 600 block of Wayne Avenue in reference to a structure fire with smoke and flames showing.
According to Greenville Fire Chief Russ Thompson, the fire is believed to have started at the front of the residence as the result of careless disposal of smoking materials. An investigation into the second-alarm fire revealed that a member of the household disposed of smoking materials from a third-story attic window leading to a fire developing in a rain gutter attached to the front porch of the structure. Crews were able to knock the fire down and prevent the blaze from spreading into the main structure isolating it to the enclosed front porch. No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.
The incident, ruled accidental in nature, will remain under investigation by the Greenville City Fire Department.
Jim Comer covers accidents, fires and crime for Darke County Media. He can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org